Default computer shuting down before it starts...most of the time

My PC, which is a little old (about 2-3 years), has started shutting down, but not powering down (lights and fans stay on). When I try to start it, it will shut down usually when it tries to load windows, sometime before, and some times it will load and shut down a few minutes later. It will shut down during a recovery CD windows repair, but will not shut down when I'm lookin at the bios. Also I have a system suit CD (which loads with out shuting down) to assist in sytem recovery, but can't find my harddrive. It will open the command line for me, but I can't run any commands. Is this most likely a hard drive problem, or a windows problem, or what.
    I have already attempted to reseat all the plugs and cards. OS is XP I have an athelon proccessor, but I'm not sure what speed I think it over 3G. Also, it tends to work for a few minutes after a "successful" reinstall of windows.

could it be your power supply unit is faulty??

just my 2 cents worth of comment!

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

As stated first suspect is the power supply.
    Second is the the BIOS being faulty.
    Try and access the CMOS settings by holding the DEL key down when booting up. (Some systems use other keys. Check your Motherboard docs.
    If you can access CMOS check the settings.
    If the settings are missing then the BIOS battery is flat and needs replacing.
    Also do you hear and beeps when you turn the system on. The beeps can indicate where the problem is.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.