Default data retrieval from hard drive

I am trying to retrieve files from a hard drive. The system it was in no longer works - after a power outage (motherboard is fried). I took out the hard drive and put it into another CPU as a slave. I can see all the folders I set up for my wife & kids - and can get to all their old documents. I cannot, however get to my own. The folder with my name says it's empty. I can find nothing in My Documents or My Pictures either. These files are, of course, 75% of everything that is on this drive. How do I find them??
    Operating system is XP
    Thanks for any help. . .

Was the access to your documents different than the others? (password protected/ unshared). You could try using a Linux Live CD to retrieve them.
    Basically, a Linux live cd rins Linux from the CD drive and can access Windows files on the hard drive, even NTFS files on a XP drive. It can't write to a NTFS drive though. So, you need to have a partition that is formatted as FAT32 (used in Windows 98 and ME), or if you have dual CD drives (one to run the Linux CD and one to burn CDs, you can burn your data to CD. More info here:
    http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Lin...x_Live_CD.html

It's not really hard and you don't really need to know anything about Linux.

Charlie

The following article did the trick for me when I was recently in a very similar situation. Not sure if your problem is exactly the same however.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;Q308421&

Thanks again. I'll try these.