Default are icons in the tray considered "open" software?

I'm new here and afraid my question might be too basic, but here you go: I need to load new software for my new digital camera and I never know how to know if all open and running software is closed, as the directions always advise. I have three icons in my tray: task scheduler, volume & norton antivirus. I know I need to close the norton anti, but what about the other two?...Are they considered open and running software? And if so, how do I close them? I have an older computer with win 98. Also, I thought crtl-alt-del showed me running software. Is this so? Thank you for taking time to help a bonehead user.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Doing a ctrl+alt+delete should bring up the task manager which should list what processes (programs) are running. All that is required to run Win98 in taht list is Systray and Explorer, everything you can end task on. Although it is a good idea to close all open programs before installing software, it really isn't that necessary to go through the steps of ending all the background processes. All you really need to close are applications that are showing on the taskbar.

Partieā„¢

Really should be OK with things like Norton/TaskMgr running. However if you do have problems, turn the Norton off and try again.

I assume you loading off a CD Rom, not off the internet.

BG