Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Intermittent Clicking Noises

My computer makes intermittent clicking sounds that I cannot pinpoint or understand. The clicking almost sounds like the clicking sound my power button makes when I turn the computer on and off but the clicking is internal (e.g. sounds as if I was pushing the power button in and I get a CLICK, holding it for a split second, and releasing it again and I get another CLICK). Sorry, I know that is not the best description.

The clicking usually comes in waves of two. It will happen when I'm on the computer working (no specific time or activity in particular) and will also happen when I'm not on the computer but leave it running. It does not seem to be linked to any specific action, instead a normal function or connection the computer is trying to make. The sound JUST happeded as I was typing this message.

The sound does not seem to effect the performance of the computer in any way. It does not freeze up or restart. Also, I have virus/firewall protection and did a scan recently. No viruses were found.

Any thoughts or ideas what this sound may be....? Should I be concerned? I did try to do some research and everything I found seemed to point to the hard drive going bad. I just had my computer in and it was wiped clean and I started from scratch and installed Windows XP. Could it be a BIOS problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

My first thought, even before I finished reading your post, it is the HD.

My guess it is the read/write head(Arm) slapping back and forth. I would say generally not good. The HD is searching wildly trying to find something

Try this :-

1. Double-click My Computer to view your drives.
    2. Right-click on "Local Disk C:"
    3. left-click Properties.
    4. Click on the Tools tab,
    5. under the Error Checking section, click "Check Now".
    6. tick bothboxes
    7. click on Start
    8. It'll tell you it can't run right now, and ask if you want to run it the next time Windows restarts; click Yes.
    9. Restart the computer
    10. CHKDSK will run during the reboot process
    11. when scanning the surface for bad clusters and the recovery of bad sectors... this will take a long time possibly several hours ... be prepared for this and be patient.

Next go to the start button, check Accessories>System tools> Disk Defrag and run it.

If the clicking continues after this, I would be looking into replacing the HD

BG

Thanks for the advice. I'll try this and let you know how it turns out.

Any advice on a new hard drive? Where to get one? What to get?

Are you sure it is not the "start navigation" click produced by windows?

If so you can turn this off:
    Start>control panel>sounds, speech>sounds & audio.

Go to the sounds tab, highlight start navigation then in the dropdown menue below select (none). Apply + OK.

Basementgeek, the sounds still persists.

I will try the Windows start navigation click suggestion. Does this sound come through the speakers or would it be an internal sound?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by tigerhawk09
    Basementgeek, the sounds still persists.

I will try the Windows start navigation click suggestion. Does this sound come through the speakers or would it be an internal sound?

Thanks again!
    Speakers.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Turn off the speakers. Does the sound persist. If so it is your hard drive preparing to die.
    If not then then problem is your sound.
    Can the clicking sound be heard through headphones.
    If not then the speakers are prpbably damaged.
    If you can then the sound card has a problem.
    What you can do is update the sound card drivers.
    If the card is a PCI slot card try moving it to a different slot furtherest away from the CPU and graphics card.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I had a friend run some diagnostics software and the hard drive is working properly. He believes the sound is coming from the switch. Has anyone ever had a switch go bad?

You may have a relay connected to your power switch,Relays can click when they open or close.Usually something will shut off when you hear the click.For instance my display clicks and then shuts off for no reason,Well there is a reason mine is heat realated a tempture sensitive relay opens when it gets to hot[click] then display shuts down mine is very intermitten so i live with it.Switches are mechnical so yes they an relays can an will fail.Replace the power switch this may incorporate a relay as well.What is abnormal is nothing occurs when you hear the click,Possibly your switch is recieving a false status and responding to it but unable to perform its true function.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The Click of death syndrome may not be detected by diagnostic software as the problem is mechanical.
    I do suggest you keep backups just in case.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast