Default downloading from desktop to laptop

My son is trying to get information on how to file transfer from pc to laptop. Any information would be helpful.

Also how can he load drivers for external cd rom drive to laptop. When drivers are on cd rom.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

My son is trying to get information on how to file transfer from pc to laptop.
    A couple of ways to do this. The easiest is to copy the files to floppy disk or CD and then place floppy/cd into laptop and copy the files. Another way would be, if the two computers were connected to a router you could create a network (using the network wizard in XP) and share/transfer files from one to the other. Yet another is to buy a crossover cable (without the router) and create share files (not sure if you set up a network). The last and slowest way would be to send the files by e-mail (you would be restricted to size unless using a program that basically cuts files up and sends in smaller files to be regenerated on the receiving PC).

Also how can he load drivers for external cd rom drive to laptop. When drivers are on cd rom.
    Depending on the operating system you have (XP, ME, 98 etc) you may have plug and play, whereby you connect the drive to the laptop and XP (for example) auto detects the new hardware and installs the generic driver for a CD ROM. Even then, make sure you go to the CD ROM manufacturer's site and download the appropriate driver for your operating system.