Default DSL question is this a good deal

Hi guys,
    SBC is having a great promotion for DSL, or at least I think it is. I have never had DSL before, so I wanted to get your opinion:

SBC Yahoo!® DSL Express Package
    384 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps 128 to 384 Kbps 1 Dynamic One year $12.99

I have dialup so I know DSL will be even better, but, is the speed mentioned in their promotion really worth it. THey have another deal where you can get it up to 3Mbps, but that is $17.99.
    In the near future, I am planing on getting world of warcraft. Will that DSL Express package be fine, or do I need to upgrade it.

THanks in advance,

Bob

I would go for the faster 17.99 one.

Few if any gamers here to advise you on your other question.

BG

I'd call SBC to see what else is included with that package.
    The only reason I suggest it is because I just finished setting my older brother up with it this past Friday nite. He wanted the 14.99 package, I called and they said he would have to take their Long Distance deal also and some other stuff, then after six months the bill would be like $26 something.
    I asked if the had just a flat no frills service, "Yes we do, it's $26.99".
    Hmmm not being a math major I thought, Well, we'll go with that then.
    He got a six month intro rate for $21.00 then goes to $26.99

I've had SBC 384 up-1.5 down for close to six years now and play Americas army. Those specs can change all the time though. Sometimes I average 318 up and 1 Mb down. So gaming is affected from time to time, which I'm sure can be true with any service i quess.

Another thing that comes to mind.
    They called over Christmas break and asked if I wanted the Pro service for the same price, I said hell yeah sign me up. Think it's like 1Mb up and 1.5-3.0 down, I can't recall.
    So I waited and waited and waited but was still averaging the regular service speeds.
    I called a couple weeks ago and they said it wasn't availiable to me because I was too far from wherever the service is. Guess you have to be like three miles or closer to take advantage of the higher speeds.

regards, Jeff

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

All comms is competitive. When speeds are advertised assume the lowest speed mention will be the norm.
    Cheaper prices are usually available when you bundle other comms with it. EG phone, cellphone, cable TV
    Then think of us poor Aussies that have to pay $29.95 for lousy speed and 400MB download limit or $55 for 1.5mps with 10gig limt.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default Thans for the suggestions

I am going to look at the fine print of the contract because you are right Jeffo, SBC likes to put out these amazing offers, but when you read the fine print, you probably have to get it bundled with some of their other products.
    I may go with their $17.99 deal. But, the thing I don't understand, is that my intenal wireless card goes up to 54Mbps, so basically, they are going to sell me a service that only gets up to 3Mbps. That doesn't seem like a great deal if you ask me. THis just hit me now. It actually isn't a good deal. I mean, better than my dialup, but not by much. But, thanks guys!
    Bob

Hi - Is that 54 K? Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Only thing his deal came bundled with was Yahoo and all their ....Stuff. and it was a shock to me that they don't include an ethernet card anymore with the package, I mean come on a card is only 8 bucks! but, he did get a mail in rebate for the modem for $49.00.
    They have a place on their site where you can pump in your phone number to see if it's availiable in your area.
    I have a buddy who had to use another service who is only a mile away from me and a bit closer to Detroit, where SBC doesn't offer service. Kind of like a black out area.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

There is no 54mps broadband outside of Japan. The latest mainstream ADSL2+ can give up to 24mps and then only if you have about 200 metres of wire between you and the nearest DSLAM.
    Soon ISP's will be offering video on demand and a minimum speed of 4mps will be needed.
    1.5 mps should be regarded as minimum speed these days.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.