Default Upgrade my computer

I have a Compaq desktop computer. I have had it since 1998 or 99. It originally had Windows 98 on it, I have since upgraded to Windows ME.

I don't usually play games on my computer, but there are some I would like to try. However, I know that my computer in it's current state will not play them. I am thinking of World Of Warcraft, Star Wars Galaxies, and maybe some others down the road.

I was at Best Buy today pricing out new computers, which I hate the idea of buying a new computer every few years to keep up. I have a new printer, new 40 gig hard drive, new DVD-RW, and the everything else works fine. I asked about buying just the PC tower and it costs more than buying the whole package of stuff I don't need. I asked about buying just a new processor for my Compaq and the associate said to try newegg.com.

Now for my question, what do I need to look for in a mother board for my computer? I went to newegg.com and I haven't a clue what I am looking for. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would like to just buy a new mother board and upgrade to Windows XP. I am hoping that is all I need to do. While I'm at it, which version of XP should I get?

I am aware that I will need a video card and maybe some other extras to play the games. I am hoping it will be cheaper than buying a new computer and that in the future I can continue to do upgrades.

Thank you,
    Dave

I have a Compaq desktop computer. I have had it since 1998 or 99. It originally had Windows 98 on it, I have since upgraded to Windows ME.
    Most people that have been around awhile do not consider going to ME as an upgrade ! Worst Op system M$ ever had.

This is an old PC, it will probably require a new CPU, which means a New MOB, which means new RAM and at least a AGP video card. Since the new stuff will require probably more "juice" a new power supply. All you will have left is a small, by todays standard, HD and DVD R/W and a case.

I would by a bare bones PC, buy more RAM to 1 gig, add you current HD set as a slave and install the DVD R/W.

If you are going to play today's games, you need a newer PC. Most PC's can be upgraded some, but not a lot. As far upgrading every few years-plan on it, especially if you get into hi end games. I would plan on a new PC every 2 years or less.

As far as an operating system, most people get along fine with XP home.

BG

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

If it is a HP/Compaq you will find it near impossible to upgrade. Both use propietry parts that are rarely standard.
    I personally am holding off upgrading anything until Vista hits the shelves and 64 bit computing becomes the norm.
    Low end upgrades today will have a very short life span.
    Start saving.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

don't forget the local classified section of your news paper for used computers there are good deals here in my area,ready to go for game support.It's amazing what people sell because it may have a minor bug.