Default blurry monitor image

Hi guys,

I turned on a computer i havent turned on in a while and the monitor image was blurred. Specifically the sharpness of text had completely gone and i thought the monitor was on its way out.

I just connected the monitor to another computer and it seems fine.

I would therefore assume the problem is with the first computer, what do i need to do to fix this one?

Hi hardeep - Go 'Start'>'Control Panel'>Double click 'Display'>'Settings' tab. On the left can you move the slider to the right to improve the quality?
    If this doesn't work you may need to install drivers for graphics card or monitor. A few system details would help if this is necessary. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Hi Galena,

Correction, it seems the monitor may be bad, the picture quality was ok but i left it connected to the second computer and after a while the picture quality deterioted on that one also.

Would you have any idea whats happened to it?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Try Clear Type setting before giving your monitor the last rights. Here's MS FAQ on Clear Type http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypeFAQ.mspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the information fellas.

Canuck I tried the clear type setting but the picture is still very bad, i think that monitor is dead (shame too it was a 21")

Do you guys know what exactly happens when monitors go bad like this?

Could i have prevented this from happening?

I have another monitor which seems to be giving me trouble. The picture is perfect except that in the bottom left corner you can see the image shake. if you look very carefully you can see that the image across the entire screen seems to be moving (or flashing slightly) but its most noticable in teh left hand corner. I think i could have myself to blame as this is the side i have the pc speakers on and i assume the magnet is distorting the path of the electrons.

Is this the case and could is this damage irreversible?

(I have degaussed a bunch of times)

thanks again for all your help guys, its nice to know theres someone out there who knows what they're talking about and are willing to share

Hi hardeep - I picked this bit of info up off the web -
    "A soldering gun (a soldering iron will not work as it does not contain a large transformer which produces a large alternating magnetic field) may also be used to degauss a monitor by holding it up to the center of the monitor with the hot tip end facing safely AWAY from the glass (and yourself!) and while holding down the on button, slowly moving the gun in ever wider concentric circles past the edge of the monitor until the shimmering colors can no longer be seen. This may need to be repeated several times to remove severe magnetization."

If you have access to a soldering gun (highly unlikely I'm guessing) you could try the above. Otherwise, from a very hard lesson learnt some time back, the damage is almost certainly permanent. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome