Default Heading for breakdown help required

Has anyone come across this problem on a Dell Laptop or any other PC for that matter? I keep having a problem when booting up the machine. I get the windows installer trying to configure something called the Sonic Update Manager. Now according to the Sonic site this problem must not be unknown as there is a patch and if that does not work they advise uninstalling it, which I have. However, I also keep getting the message. Sonic Activation Module. The feature you are trying to use is on a CD Rom or other removable disk that is not available - Insert the Sonic Activation Module disk and click OK, use source 1. The thing is the Dell does not come with any disks everything is pre-loaded and is somewhere on the HD. I am at my wits end with this message. The only way to get rid of it is to shut it down in the task manager, which is only a temporary fix. Any ideas or solutions welcomed. If I shut down using the Hibernate option then I do not have this issue, it is only on a proper shutdown and startup that the problem resurfaces. I have tried every cleaning tool etc. to no avail. I have uninstalled all Roxio applications again to no avail. After performing a restore which returned the Laptop to a point before I uninstalled the Roxio applications which are now back, however, I cannot use them now as I am being prompted for a disk for those applications, and yes you’ve guessed it, there are no disks. This particular hiccup re: Roxio is not the end of the world as I have Nero on disk, but the Sonic Activation Module prompt really has me beat. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

:cry:

Let see if we can remove it by using the HJT program.

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Pro...Hijackers.html

Follow the directions in Step 5 and post a log.

BG

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Have you shut down (unchecked) it in the msconfig startup tab? If it's there that is.

Right latest update - pardon the pun. I have installed the Regcleaner which is a handy little tool. I have now deleted all references to Sonic Roxio including backups startups and anywhere else. I rebooted and yes you've guessed it the windows installer is still trying to install the Sonic Activation Module and source 1 is my only option. The only other reference to Sonic which I cannot get rid of is in the add/remove programs and is call Sonic Encoders. When I try to remove this last item I get the following message. SONICENCODERS.MSI use source d:\OEM\CONTENT\Extras\sonic Again I would say that I am being asked for a disk a do not possess. I have also run Spybot and Adware just on the off chance. This little nut seems to be uncrackable. I have noticed on the Dell web forums that I am not alone with this issue. Perhaps that is why no one from Dell tech help has got back to assist me.

Member Help2Go Moderator

try this...put in that CDRom which I could only imagine is one of your DELL Restoration CDs (i'm actually guessing it's the Restore CD that contains windows on it). Once you've inserted the CDRom close out any program that opens when you insert the CD (i.e. close anything that autoruns from teh CD..)

Then go to a command prompt (start menu > click "run" > type "cmd" [no quotes] > click "ok") and type the following command noting spaces.

msiexec.exe /x d:\OEM\CONTENT\Extras\sonic\SONICENCODERS.MSI

I could only imagine D:\ is your CDRom drive that you inserted the CD into that I mentioned above. If that is not the correct drive letter change it to the correct one.

Also, once you find that "magical" cd, in that same folder ("..\Extras\sonic") Issue the same command for all .msi files in that folder. So, for instance if you had a file named "sonic_installer.msi" then run this command ALONG WITH the 1st command listed above

msiexec.exe /x D:\OEM\CONTENT\Extras\sonic\sonic_installer.msi

and running the command for each *.msi file you see listed in the "sonic" folder.

Partie™

Oh yeah, sorry, the msiexec.exe file is the Microsoft Installer Engine. That's the file that's used to actually run the "setup wizard" for .msi files. When you run the /x parameter with the msiexec.exe file it UNinstalls the named package from the system.

Quote Originally Posted by PartieHonteuse
    try this...put in that CDRom which I could only imagine is one of your DELL Restoration CDs (i'm actually guessing it's the Restore CD that contains windows on it). Once you've inserted the CDRom close out any program that opens when you insert the CD (i.e. close anything that autoruns from teh CD..)

Then go to a command prompt (start menu > click "run" > type "cmd" [no quotes] > click "ok") and type the following command noting spaces.

msiexec.exe /x d:\OEM\CONTENT\Extras\sonic\SONICENCODERS.MSI

I could only imagine D:\ is your CDRom drive that you inserted the CD into that I mentioned above. If that is not the correct drive letter change it to the correct one.

Also, once you find that "magical" cd, in that same folder ("..\Extras\sonic") Issue the same command for all .msi files in that folder. So, for instance if you had a file named "sonic_installer.msi" then run this command ALONG WITH the 1st command listed above

msiexec.exe /x D:\OEM\CONTENT\Extras\sonic\sonic_installer.msi

and running the command for each *.msi file you see listed in the "sonic" folder.

Partie™

Oh yeah, sorry, the msiexec.exe file is the Microsoft Installer Engine. That's the file that's used to actually run the "setup wizard" for .msi files. When you run the /x parameter with the msiexec.exe file it UNinstalls the named package from the system.
    Thanks for the informative response. The only problem is that as I mentioned earlier, the Dell does not ship with any CD Roms whatsoever, everything comes pre-loaded and the only way you have to restore everything is with Symantec Restore. Not an option I want to take as it has taken me a week to install everything on this Laptop. I think I am just going to have to give up and use the Hibernate option on Shut Down rather than Shut Down as I do not get this issue with Hibernate.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Sorry, I must have missed that bit of info while reading your original post. But, there may still be another option. Do you know where that backup/restore file is kept/located on the drive, because if this is Symantec LiveState then you should be able to extract those files from the restore and run them directly from the C:\ drive.

Partie™

Quote Originally Posted by PartieHonteuse
    Sorry, I must have missed that bit of info while reading your original post. But, there may still be another option. Do you know where that backup/restore file is kept/located on the drive, because if this is Symantec LiveState then you should be able to extract those files from the restore and run them directly from the C:\ drive.

Partie™
    Sadly no I don't though I have looked. Anyone else with a Dell know where these files are hidden?

At last at long last I have a fix. Someone on the Dell Forum had the same problem and installed the latest Windows installer and it worked for him. I tried it and bingo no more Sonic Activation Module. I think I will go to church tomorrow.

:lol: