Thread: startup problem

Default startup problem

my computer is running on xp home. it will now only start up as far as the windows loading screen. i looked on the microsoft website and it said that i could fix it by putting another kernel32 file back on the computer. i tried to do this but following the instructions for the recovery console didnt work. could anyone help me fix my problem?

Hi seb - Alternatively you could try -
    Turn off the PC. Turn it on again and as it boots tap F8. Select 'Last Known Good Configuration' from the options. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

One main cause of startup blues is good old spyware. Boot up into safe mode, log on as administrator and run adaware or similar. Also do a virus check in that mode.
    While there you can also check the startup folder under you user name.
    One cause is when Windows is unable to find a file that it is expecting during the boot sequence. Often this can be a sound file. I suggest while in Safe Mode change the Control Pnael / Sounds and Audio Devices /Sounds to No Sounds.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.