Thread: FTP security

Default FTP security

A test just now on ShieldsUp shows that my machine has failed security on Solicited TCP Packets Received and on Ping Reply Received. It particularly identifies Port 21 Service=FTP as being OPEN - it says:

"FTP servers have many known security vulnerabilities and the payoff f
    rom exploiting an insecure FTP server can be significant. This system's open FTP port is inviting intruders to examine your system more closely."

I know what FTP is, and I do upload to a website, but via Internet Explorer, not using a standalone FTP program. I don't *think* I've got a separate FTP program, but I may have, because I may have downloaded a freebie some time then decided not to bother with it, so have forgotten I've got it or where it is!

How do I improve my security of Port 21 then, please?

Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

I think the warning is about downloading from FTP sites. FTP pre-dates the WWW and was the main way to download files. Although faster than using HTM it is far less secure for downloading. It's speed is the main reason it remains the way to upload to one's own web site.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default Re: See if this helps - with FTP and Port 21

Quote Originally Posted by Bear
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/kb/articles/tec021114/
    Hi Bear,

Thanks very much indeed for this link - I'd never heard of it, and it was extremely interesting

Unfortunately the very bit it tells you about I can't seem to locate on my machine !!!

Here is a bit I copied from the link:
    If however you don't need all these servers, simply shut them down and the ports will be closed automatically. Open the service manager at the control panel - administrative tasks. Services are programs which are automatically run at the system startup without any visible window. They work in the background.

Search the list for "WWW publishing service" and click on Stop Service icon at the top. The port 80 is no longer in use, meaning that it is closed. You can do the same with the "FTP publishing service" and the "Simple mail transport protocol (SMTP)".

This link clearly identified port 21 as FTP, so I thought great, I'll follow its instructions and close it. I'm running XP-Home, SP2, so I went:
    Control Panel>Performance and Maintainance>Administrative Tools>Services like it said, and looked for FTP - no sign, it's not there! Argghhh! Although I don't want to close WWW or SMTP I looked for them also in the same place just out of interest - nope, they are not there either! The list in "Services" must have at least 100 different things in it and none of them are what I want! Why does this always happen to me?

Quote Originally Posted by whoozhe
    I think the warning is about downloading from FTP sites. FTP pre-dates the WWW and was the main way to download files. Although faster than using HTM it is far less secure for downloading. It's speed is the main reason it remains the way to upload to one's own web site.
    Hi again Whoozhe,
    Thanks for replying yet again to one of my postings.
    I never ever actually download from FTP sites, (eg. MP3 or video files), nor do I upload to my website using FTP separately, I just upload text and pictures via Internet Explorer. So do you think that I'm probably quite safe and secure, even though ShieldsUp seems to be worried about this being an open port?

Have you spotted the link that Bear sent to my question? I've read that but not been able to use what it said - have a look at my reply to him if you have the time.
    Cheers,

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Considering just how insecure IE is it would probably be my last choice to upload anything.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.