Thread: reinstalling xp

Default reinstalling xp

Ok, now, you all are gonna think i'm stupid, but I'm gonna ask questions I SHOULD already know the answers to.

My friend said her computer won't start up. She thinks she got a virus. She wants me to help fix it but I don't wanna go over there and look stupid, so, I'll ask you some questions first.

1) her computer is a compaq. She can't find her cd, which i know she's used before to repair windows. Someone else gave her their dell xp disc and i told her it wouldn't work. That's right, isn't it?

2) how do i get in to the bios to change boot location?

3) and how do i boot to safe mode?

I know these questions have been asked before. sorry about that.

I've never actually installed an OS or reinstalled or created partitions or anything like that. All we did was TALK about it in class. My teacher did show is FDISK but I don't remember much about how to do it. Do you need to do that to install xp?

Hi Leah - Pretty sure the Dell disc won't be any use. To start in safe mode, assuming pc is off. Turn on pc and tap F8 as it boots up. You should be able to access the BIOS from there. I can recommend a good site for spyware, the link is below. It might be a good idea to assist your friend with the spyware procedures, assuming she can get online. If you are intending to reformat and reinstall then you will definitely need the correct disc. Regards.

http://www.help2go.com/component/opt...wtopic/t,9709/

Not forgetting, of course, that whilst helping a friend creates a rosy glow it can also be a good way to lose a friend if it all goes pear shaped :wink:
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Tapping F8 will allow you to start in safe mode.

Tapping delete will usually get you into the BIOS where you can select the boot sequence etc.

Hi

I recomend that you try very hard to find the origional recovery disk or you may have to buy a new xp disk.

You would be very lucky if the dell recovery disk works with the other comp it would almost certainly have the wrong drivers and then it should only work for 30 days without the windows key and activation

I have waisted many hours trying to install the xp recovery disks from 3 different manufacturers on a new comp, each disk has drivers specific to each manufacturer and non of them alow you to create a partition. A retail version of xp will create a partition and allow you to install other drivers specific your system.

Its much easier to buy a retail version of xp if you dont have the origional restore disk.

A Compaq may not use DELETE to enter BIOS. My Compaq uses F1. When it starts, it should say "HIT ? to enter set up". Just hit whatever it says. Compaq usually uses a set of recovery disks to reset the computer to like it was when bought. There may be a small partition (about 5GB) with the recovery info stored on disk. If it is there, you don't need the CDs. If there is a recovery partition try this:
    Start computer, after it boots choose ALL PROGRAMS, COMPAQ, COMPAQ PRESARIO PC TOOLS, then click on COMPAQ SYSTEM RECOVERY, then follow the on screen instructions. If you don't have a recovery partition, you need the Compaq CDs. Charlie