Thread: Xp Power Issues

Default Xp Power Issues

Hi

Over the weekend I reinstalled XP again (clean install), but since then when I tried to shut down the computer, not only does it take a long time to do so but it never finishes, it ends on the "It is now safe to shut down your computer" message that left with windows 95. (Note with an identical hardware configuration this has never happened before)

I've tried googling to find information and it seems I have an issue with ACPI, or APM. This also means that in the power options there are no choices to alter the use of the pawer button for instance, so now instead of shutting down XP like it used to it just turns the machine off which is obviously a bad thing.

There was a resonably detailed Microsoft help article which I've looked through but none of the solutions seem to work. I uninstalled my logitech drivers (which I miss ) uninstalled zone alarm both no no avail. I havn't updated my bios as I don't know how, and as far as I know thats somehting I've never done and so should have no effect.

If any more information is required I'll happily supply.

Windows XP Pro
    Abit AV8 motherboard
    AMD64 3200+
    1 Gigabite Ram
    160GB HDD

Hi cruz - Download and run this free program -

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Under the heading 'Main Circuit Board' will be your BIOS details. What are they? This will enable us to check if you have the latest version. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Board: http://www.abit.com.tw/ AV8 (VIA K8T800P-8237) 1.x
    Bus Clock: 204 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 11/12/2004

But as I said in my first post the bios has never been changed, and as it is surely OS independant should have no bearing on this is it worked fine with the previous XP installation.

I do know the bios is out of date, but as it is not a simple update and I have never found any need to do so I have never updated it.

Hi cruz - Have you installed all of the Windows updates and SP2? With no changes to hardware it certainly looks like a software issue. You may have already seen this but below is other info picked up off the web.

In 'Power Options' do you have a 'APM' tab?
    1. Click the APM tab, click Enable Advanced Power Management support, and then click Apply.
    The APM tab is unavailable on ACPI-compliant computers. ACPI automatically enables Advanced Power Management, which disables the APM tab.

During Windows Setup, ACPI is installed only if all components present during Setup support power management. Some components, especially legacy components, do not support power management and can cause erratic behavior with Advanced Power Management (APM), or may prevent ACPI from being installed. Examples of such components are Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) components and an out-of-date BIOS.
    Most recent BIOS is dated 30-11-05 and is available at the link below.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=175
    Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

If I update the bios, would it be reccomended to simply reinstall xp again?

I have only had this install in for a couplr of days and everything I need is still safely on my external hard drive.

I did install all the relevent xp updates, a lovely experiance

I need to go into uni this afternoon, but unless anyone can think of a diffrent solution I'll update the bios and then reinstall xp.

Thinking about it when the computer was built about a year ago the bios would have been pretty much up to date, thanks for the help

Hi cruz - I'd be inclined to just update the BIOS and see if that does the trick. I really should do a format myself but he prospect of loading all the updates and software etc :cry: . Regards.

Its an absolute pain. Not too bad with XP, as you can just leave that to it, but its the little things like adobe or other pdf reader, and something to use image files that you take for granted on a machine used a lot. Bah!!

I'll try the bios update and get back to the site as soon as I've done it, might be a few days though.

Just thought I'd update this post so it might be useful for someone else.

It turned out my motherboard could be updated from in windows, which was very helpful as I didn't like the boot disc approach. However that didn't solve the problem, but a reformat did. So looks liek something must have just gone wrong with the installation of XP.

Thanks for letting us know your problem is resolved.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

This is motherboard depended. Older motherboards cannot be shut down with software.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.