Thread: CPU upgrade

Default CPU upgrade

I own a HP Pavillion 531w. I have a 1.3 Ghz processor. I want to upgrade my processor but I don't know what to upgrade to. I am not an avid gamer but I run several applications. My machine has a Max 512MB RAM (full) What processor should I get to increase productivity? I don't want to spend too much.
    John :roll:

First, you need to know what kind of CPU you have now because any new CPU will need fit into the same socket on the motherboard. Go here: http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php and download the cpu-z program (link at the upper left of page). After downloading it, unzip it and then click on the cpuz folder or icon. It will tell you all about your CPU, motherboard and memory. Once we know what you have, we can figure out what you can use. The motherboard (mainboard) info is important because it will help determine the maximum speed you can go to. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Off the top of my head I don't think you can go much higher. It depends on the type of slot on the motherboard and the CPU's that will fit that slot.
    Remeber that the increase in CPU speed does not relate to increase performance. Doubling the CPU does not double the performance of speed .
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

To back up what Whoozhe said, if you want it to run like it had a 3Ghz cpu, save your money and buy a new computer. You can get a little better performance, maybe 10 to 20%; but it will not be a high performance coputer by today's standards. Charlie

Charlie-I received the info. Thanks. My MOBO is a Intel i810E chipset Bios= brand phoenix 3.07 SDRAM 512MB MAX. My CPU Intel 1300 Mhz Socket 370 FC-PGA2 You can find the exact configuration on www.hp.com web site search on "hp pavillion 531w" But I think this is the info you were looking for. If the CPU doesn't increase speed, What does? I didn't know cpuz existed, Thanks! Does this info help in finding the right CPU for me? Johnny

your main limitation on what you can do is the mother board. quick snapshot - the i810 chipset on this board (probably a cognac mobo?) does not extend much support beyond 1.4 GHz really. so you must have a cel?? but not bad @ all for 1.3Gh. and 2 sdram banks max 512. you can save your $ and buy latest puter. i don't know you can achieve that much overclocking this board. and if you only want to upgrade and not have to spend on a new pc, then a Tualatin or coppermine cpu's - they are rated @ earlier Pentium 4's speeds. note that they are supported by specific boards and i am sure yours does not. total could be $80 to 200 even before you have considered more memory etc.
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.

Default New computer

Thank all of you for your support. I will take your opinions and go out and buy a new system, HP probably. I seen one for $989.00. It is an Hp 3.06Ghz processor Pentium 4 533 FSB 1GB SDRAM upgradable to 4GB (240 pin). 160 GB HD 7200rpm, 3 PCI, w/ 1 PCIe (MOBO is a hp a1323w-b) It comes with a LCD 19" with speakers. OS XP media center edition. What do ya think?? Is it good for the money?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Please avoid HP or you will just end up with the No Upgrade path in the near future.
    Nicely built maybe but the bottom line is HP systems are basically use and dump when they are outdated.
    You will do far better both financially and system wise getting a custom built one from a mid size vendor that has been in business for around 3 years. In most cases support for md size vendors is far better too.
    Some help. You should be able to use the monitor, keyboard, CD drives and even the hard drive in the new system so that may save you more.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.