Default HP Pavilion a720n recovery

Hello. I need to run the HP Recovery on my Pavilion a720n. It does have the recovery partition on the hard drive. Some ways to access the recovery program that I found are:

1.) Start > HP Tools > HP PC Recovery --- -- A 'HP Tools' menu dosent even show up here.

2.) Press F10 at the HP BIOS screen. I tap it repeatedly like it says and it just goes right to loading windows and dosent even appear to realize that I'm pushing F10.

So, i'm stuck it seems...

Any ideas?

The only thing that i've done at one time is installed Linux that also installed the GRUB bootloader onto the MBR of the main harddrive. (Linux has since then been uninstalled.) That I think is why the F10 pressing dosent work. I dont know how to restore the MBR to what it used to be before GRUB.
    Still using IE?
    Get Firefox!

My Homepage

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The Windows installation files are in a hidden partition. Even if you could access it the files there are encrypted and only accessible via the Recovery CD.
    Even if you repartition and reformat the drive the hidden partition will remain.
    That is the way it is with HP and OEM versions of windows.
    As for installing your own copy of whatever HP use propietry systems that are not compatible with standards.
    You may have problems finding drivers for linux.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

To fix the MBR, get your hands on a XP installation CD. Try borrowing one from a friend (either Home or Pro). Boot from the CD, hit R for recovery console. Once you are to where you can enter commands, use the command fixmbr and hit enter. It will probably ask you to verify what you want to do. Then reboot without the CD, the Linux boot screen should now be gone. Try hitting F10 now during boot up and see what happens. Charlie

I got it working by using the HP Recovery CD/DVD creator in windows to create 2 DVDs. And then booted with Disc #1 and then proceeded to install. 8) Talking from fresh copy of windows now. My only issue is that the internet seems to be moving very slow. Connected to a high-speed cable connection through a Netgear RP614 router. There are 2 other computers on the router. Not sure why it's moving slower here. Windows reports at 100mbps connection. Online speed test reports around 4500kb/s download, 370kb/s upload.
    Still using IE?
    Get Firefox!

My Homepage