Default dial up-connect speed

My connect speed varies from 28.8 kbs to 49.2 kbs. Is there anything I can do to insure that I get a higher connect speed each time I connect to the internet?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Can't tell you much without knowing what kind of hookup you have. Cable .. DSL ... ?????

Many times, the "clearness" of the connection can have a direct impact on your connect speed (talking about line noise). Try buying a line noise filter. They are usually attached to certain powerstrips. Go to a computer store and ask the saleman for assistance in showing you what they have. Baically, you plug your phone line into the In part of the strip and then another phone line goes from the Out part of the strip to the in part of your modem. Since I have used one, my dial up connection speed has been consistenct at about 44K.
    Note that you will never achieve a 54K speed.
    Bob

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Net speed, especially with Dial Up, depends of several factors.
    The main one is the overall speed of the net at the time which is dependent on the volume of traffic.
    You will find slow speeds during peak times 6-11pm and weekends.
    Other factors can be the condition of your phone line, how many other phone devices attached to the line and the length of the cable between the modem and the phone socket.
    Dialup modems are det by default to run at the fasted non error speed possible. Line noise can cause the modem to kick down a notch or two, in your case down to 28.8kps. You can overide this using what are call AT commands but doing so may produce a lot of lost packets and errors if the line is bad and the modem speed to high to handle it.
    Here are some tricks that may help. Uplug every other phone, fax form the line.
    Check with your ISP to make sure you are both using the same protocol (V90 or V92)
    Avoid surge protectors, phone filters, double adapters.
    Lastly look at som basic ADSL prices You may be surprised.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.