Default Is it possible to reformat using Windows 98 Start Up floppy?

The problem is i have another computer that im looking at getting set back up and the only reason it isnt set up now is because it freezes all the time.

So hopefully if i wipe the entire HD and then reformat it all everything should work perfectly. Providing there is no hardware error making it freeze.

I made a Windows 98 Start Up floppy shortly before it kept freezing itself and id like to know if i can do it this way? Or will i need to use something else?

I remember one time that the guy in the shop did loads of these C:/Run blahblah or something like this to get it done before. And i just cant remember any of these things he done to do it before

Thanks

Hi jordison - You can download a 98 boot disc at the link below. Presumably you have the Windows 98 cd and its serial number? You will also need software installation discs for any programs you want to install. Regards.

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Thanks for the quick reply and the link

Well the only Windows 98 disc i have is one that is silver and says 'Windows 98 Starts Here'.. which i highly doubt is the CD you are talking about.

Other then that i didnt get given a disc with it, same thing with this new PC i didnt get the XP disc with it.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You have an OEM version. The vendor should have given you either instalation discs or a recovery disk fo both.
    If not demand one of them and a certificate of Authentication.
    If they refuse contact Microsoft. There is a spot on their site to report such things.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.