Default explorer error occurs when particular folder is opened

Hi. I recently copied a file (containing .avi .sub and .nfo files) from a friend’s computer. My problem is that whenever I open the file I get the "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem ... Send Error Report/Don't Send" dialogue box. After I click "Don't Send", explorer.exe is restarted.

If that message happens to pop up before I enter the folder (from the previous directory), when I enter the folder I get another error message like this:

explorer.exe - Application error
    The instruction at "0x02d02524" referenced memory at "0x77dd6c74". The memory could not be "written" (OK - to terminate the program / Cancel - to debug the program).

Clicking "back" will cause explorer to stop responding or restart.

I also get the same problem in windows safe mode.

It only seems to happen when I have the view set to "thumbnails", so I was thinking that maybe it only occurs whenever windows tries to generate the preview thumbnails for those .avi files as none of the preview thumnails for the file are generated, (all other .avi files on my computer do). I can play all the files, no problem.

I’m Using Windows XP SP2 (With latest updates), P4 3Ghz, 1Gb RAM.

I can give a list of all programs installed and/or my logfile from a HijackThis system scan if needed.

Can anybody help me out? Thanks.

Default found problem

Ok. It turned out the problem was the czech .sub (subtitle) files that were causeing the problem. I took them out and put them in another folder. They didn't cause any problems in the new folder, so I put them back in the original, and still no problems. I have no idea what the problem could have been, but its fixed now. Cheers.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Thanks for getting back and giving us the solution. Hopefully others will benefit from your info :wink: