Default wipe HDD clean and start over

I have a Compaq Presario 5461 that is extremely slow. My pc utilizes the Windows 98SE OS. On average it takes up to 15 minutes before my desktop appears and forget trying to get online. Even with a high speed internet connection, it still takes up to 30 minutes from the time I start my computer till the time I finally get to my web home page. I've talked to several friends about the problem and the only good advice I've been given is to just wipe my hard drive clean removing all files and all residual files and start over from scratch. How do I do this, someone please help me with this problem because I can't afford a new and better computer and I'm ready to throw mine into the Mississippi River!!

There could be several reasons why your computer is slow. A reformatting and reloading of the operating system should fix it, but if you know what the problem is you can keep it from happening again. The hard drive may be over 90% full, right click on your hard drive and click on properties and see how full it is. The drive may be severely fragmented. If you can't remember the last time you defragmented, that could be the case. With 98, it is best to defragment in safe mode at least once a month. You could have a virus, make sure you install an antivirus program after you reload the O/S. AVG is free and is available here: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
    Your computer is very likely carrying around a glut of adware/spyware. There combined effect can slow you to a crawl. You can run Spybot and AdAware to help with that.
    http://www.download.com/Spybot-Searc...-10122137.html
    http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-...bj=dl&tag=top5

Before going on, it would be a good idea to go into your device manager and make note of the video card, sound card, modem, and any other devices you will need drivers for. The drivers will need to be reloaded after you have reloaded 98. If you know exactly what you are looking for it is easier.
    Now for reloading the O/S. You'll need the 98 installation CD and you might need a 98 start up floppy disk. If you don't have a start up floppy, you can create one with your computer BEFORE you erase the drive. Click on HELP and type in "start up disk" to see how it is done. TRy the easy way first. SEt your computer BIOS to boot from the CD drive, put the 98 cd in the drive, boot and follow the on screen prompts for a new installation. It will erase the hard drive. If you can't boot from the cD drive, you will need to boot from the floppy disk, then transfer control to the CD drive. I'm a little fuzzy on that since I haven't loaded 98 in a couple of years, but can find the info if we need it. If you have a driver CD that came with your computer, reload the drivers. If not, Windows will find some drivers for you, the others you will need to find and reload. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

I wonder how long the system has been running since the last reformat. Unlike XP Win98 and it's predecessors ran far better if they were treated with an annual reformat.
    Cleaning up dead files, spyware should help and so should uninstalling unused software and the good old defragging. But, yep a but, you will find that your system will revert to his past nimble life with a reformat and resinstallation.
    Create a Win98 Startup Disk.
    Boot up with that disk and say Yes for adding CD drive.
    At the A: prompt type (without the quotes) "format c:"
    Sit back and watch nothing.
    leave the Floppy in but now pop the Win98 CD in the drive and at the A: prompt type "E: setup" (Win98 Set Up disk gives the letter E to CD drives as it allocates D to a ram drive where it temporarily stores the various commands.)
    Stand, watch and occassionly interact.
    having said all that if your system cam with a recovery CD use that instead.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

If this is the original drive in this PC, I would give serious thought about buying a new HD.

BG

AND ina addition to Basementgeek's comment definately bump up the memory also if you haven't already done so.
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.