Default I want to contribute, but I am out of my league here

Hi ya’ll,

So I am not the smartest person when it comes to computers. However, I really would like to help other people. I do have some knowledge, and I was a web designer for about eight months, dealing mostly with asp and javascript. But here, I am totally out of my league. Does anyone know of some other board like this but solves more elementary problems? I love this site, and I have learned many things, but it seems like every question, I am learning instead of solving. So I guess I am asking, are there any sites out there that you moderators would not waste your time on? I just want to get started, learn as much as I can, and hopefully contribute.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I can't really recommend other sites, as I don't go to others. We all started at one time or another from zero. As you are doing, we are all learning new things everyday ... some of it stays with us and some of it we make notes, save urls that we think may be of help and of course some of it comes from our own experiences. I know I have learned probably 75% of my PC knowledge from reading the advice given here at help2go and from other sources. Don't be in a rush, there will be basic questions coming up that I'm sure you can help with. Your knowledge of asp and javascript is a start, you probably know more about those than I do ..

Hang in there :wink:

I second Canuck's answer. I came here originally when I was building my first computer and just kept coming back. After some time, I started answering more often than asking, but we ALL ask questions now and then. We welcome anybody that wants to learn and be part of our group. My experience is mostly in building computers and computer hardware; I know very little about javascript and web page building, so you will add to our database of knowledge. Welcome, Charlie

Well, it is easy to say that I will continue to read these boards. Hopefully, I can contribute and answer some questions people have. I will try my best, but I warn you, I constantly find myself at the beginner status. I will try to do my best. Thank you for your replies. Even if I cannot contribute, I will be reading. I almost feel like that program that operates in the background, and most of us delete. But, hopefully soon . . .

I will continue to read. Thank you all for all of your contributions. My computer is free of spyware because I frequent here.

Thank you. People here do not say it enough. Thank you. I appreciate all of your help that you do for free. When I am here, I feel like a freeloader. Thank you for all your help. I know that people post and leave. But the stuff you do here really makes a difference. Thank you.

Hopefully, soon I can make a contribution myself.

Once again, thank you. And once again, thank you.

Many of us started out as a free loader, nothing to add, just asking questions.

4 years ago when I started here about the only things I understood was off,on,volume.

The only way sites like this works is because we have a bunch of people that know something about something, not by a bunch of people that know something about everything.

Just try to be reasonably sure of your answer, about any post, when you post.

BG

Hi shemst and welcome to Help 2 Go. Go to the link below and download and run this free program. A report will be produced that gives details of your system. Print off a copy and you will have a source of information that will be useful if you need help at anytime. Regards.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Hey Galena,
    Will it also report on the status of a system?
    Like if it's running at peak efficiency or what percentage it's running at?

think I'm confusing myself with my own question. Do you understand what I'm asking? :roll:

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

It doesn't give performance ratings, for that try www.pcpitstop.com . They have a number of different tests you can try, or go for the 'full pc tuneup'. It will suggest different ways of improving performance, the nice thing is that it's free and they don't spam you .... excellent site.

there were 3 java questions this past 2 days.

Zep:

Good point. "shemst" does not have is e mail notification of all replies turned on, in his profile. He never sees these post unless he looks for them.

It is sort of like he/she wants to help, but does not want to be bothered, so I might as well lock this topic. But I will e mail him/her and tell them.

Old Hillbilly saying, "Talks cheap, whiskey cost money"

BG