Thread: Video problem

Default Video problem

Hello all

I am having some serious issues with my display, and it has only happened over the course of the last couple weeks. I have not installed anything new lately, and this problem has just happened out of nowhere, really. To describe the problem as best as I can... upon running windows for a while, the video feedback will act as though its signal is being lost via a picture that basically resembles a television station experiencing heavy interference. Generally speaking, what happens is the visual representation will just immediately begin to go in and out and become filled with squiggly lines that cover the entire screen. It seems to happen when a graphic-heavy website is loaded, and also (more often) when I click on a tab or button when playing a PC game. This led me to believe that it may have something to do with my mouse as well, simply because from time to time my mouse pointer will shoot up toward the upper left hand of the screen by itself...

I have researched this problem everywhere within my capability, have updated the nvidia drivers to the latest version and even rolled back to previous
    drivers that worked successfully beforehand. However, I am at a complete loss.

I am running a AMD XP2800+ with 512 MB Ram. My OS is Windows XP Home, and I use dual Hard drives -- one is 40G, the other is 20G. The video card I am using is a nvidia GeForce FX 5900.

If you need any other information, please let me know and I will be glad to supply it. I desperately need some help here, and would greatly appreciate any advice and/or suggestions.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi Stoney - It may be just a cooling issue. Are all fans running ok and is the inside of the machine dust-free?
    Try this for the mouse problem -
    Set ‘System Restore’ point.
    ‘Start’>’Control Panel’>Double click ‘System’> ‘Hardware’> ‘Device Manager’> ‘Mouse/Pointing Devices’>’Properties’>’Advanced Settings’>’Input Buffer Length’ - Increase this number to 200.

Have you checked that your video card is seated correctly, and all the other cards/memory whilst you're in there. Possibly the video card is dying.
    Have you got a spare keyboard you could use to eliminate possible key/tab problem?

You could also go to this link and run the free memory test to check there is not a problem in this area. - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Additionally you could try - 'Start'>'Run'> Type in 'dxdiag' and click 'ok'>You may as well work your way through all the tabs and run each test, they're very quick. Problems, if any, will be detailed in the bottom pane. Pay particular attention to 'Display' tab details.
    Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Galena,

I have tried all of your suggestions, but sadly my problems still exist. I ran a complete dxdiag check and everything checked out fine. Is there any other suggestions that you may have?

I truly do appreciate all of your help thus far, it is greatly appreciated!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If you can, try ruling out each piece of hardware ... try a different mouse ... monitor ... keyboard ... etc. After ruling out hardware, software is next ..

Hi stoney - Go 'Start'>Double click 'System'>'Hardware' tab>'Device Manager'.
    Any yellow ? or ! showing aginst one of the devices? Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Hi Galena

Yes, but it is the same one that has been there for quite some time now. It says:

"Other Devices: Raid Controller"

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

That is the only problematic area within Device manager that I can find.

However, I have recently swapped this card out with an older model that I had laying around... and now the problems are gone. Sadly, it seems as though my video card died on me.

If you don't mind me asking, are there any good video cards that you can recommend for under $100? I had a GeForce FX5900 and was pretty satisfied with it before all these problems started. I'd like one that is capable of handling the bigger games and/or intense graphics, but not one that will empty my pockets, either. If you have any ideas or suggestions, I would truly appreciate it.

Thank you for all of your help!