Thread: System message

Default System message

Hi,
    I am trying to fix alot of damage on my dads computer. I have ran everything in the message about the spyware adware and hijacking, But when the computer is turned on a DOS screen comes up and says--Hard disk S.M.A.R.T status bad, immediate back up system and replace drive faiure immenant. Well something close to that. Does anyone know what this is or what to do about it?
    Thank you,\
    lexia

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi lexia,

SMART is a program that checks the health of the hard drive, basically it's telling you that it has discovered problems with it and that you should be backing up any data to disk before the hard drive crashes. If you're handy at doing this, I suggest you purchase a new hard drive and install it as your main drive, format it with windows .. make the old hard drive the slave. Now you can transfer any data from the old to the new. If you aren't able to do this, take it to a reliable PC store and have them do it for you.

As Canuck said the HD is on its death bed. The draft of its obituary has been already written. Waste no time.

Hope you have all the disks for the Operating system, drivers and important documents/file saved onto another media.

BG