Default Shutting down is slow because?

I am running Windows XP/SP2. When shutting down (even when I close all programs before I click start/turn off, I still get a dialog box prior to actual shut down telling me "shutting down windows explorer", but this slows down the turn off process considerably. (I usually 'end task' manually)
    This has only just started to happen so could I be advised what is causing this please. I have used Hyjackthis, had expert advise on my log, and it is clear.

See if the link below is helpful.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowshutdown.htm
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Default Slow shutdown!

Many thanks for the website which I am plowing through, however I did read about, download and install UPH CLEAN. Viewed event viewer on reboot and can see UPH CLEAN doing its job. Have just shutdown (59 sec.) waited, then booted up (1min 59 sec) but explorer.exe still shows "not responding" so I had to end task manually on logging off. Not a big deal, but with the information your website gives I will be old and grey before I go through all options! Many thanks for your help. I will let you know if I solve my problem and how it is solved. I also did the following as advised : run/services.msc/terminal services/disabled.

Default Shutdown solved -

Since posting my last to you, my shutdown problems seemed to have disappeared. I said I would let you know when and how they were solved, however all I did is in my last post. Bootup, restart, and shutdown are fine now...............thanks

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Thank you fore letting us know the problem solved. How did you solve it?
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default Slow shutdown!

Explorer.exe just stopped appearing on shutdown since I downloaded UPH CLEAN. This happened after I sent my last post. I also did the following as advised from the web site given: run/services.msc/terminal services/disabled. Thanks for all your help. You volunteers are marvellous.

Your welcome, I'm glad we were able to help.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.