JMF

Default Can I download W98SE?

I have an older laptop that was running very well with W98SE. It crashed and I decided to reformat and reload windows. This all went well until I started trying to upgrade W98 to W98SE and discovered that my W98SE Upgrade cd is damaged and won't run. (I tried cleaning it anc copying it-still no good). Can a W98SE be downloaded?

To my knowledge, Microsoft does not download its operating systems. If you have a valid unlock code for your 98se upgrade CD, you should be able to use a different 98se upgrade CD, then use your unlock code. The problem with that will be finding someone that has a 98SE upgrade CD. Charlie

Default Re: Can I download W98SE?

Quote Originally Posted by JMF
    Can a W98SE be downloaded?

No you can't, you will need to purchase a copy. As said above MS will not allow you to download the upgrade CD. Sorry
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

If you have an origina Win98 CD and hopefully the Authentic Certificate (found on the CD case) then contact microsoft for a replacement. They will charge a nominal fee but they are obligated to provide a working version of windows for each licenced held. After all you don't own the software but a licence to use it.
    Then again if you do have a certificate then you can use another copy. Just use your Key number.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Windows 98se can be purchased on e-bay 33.95 unopened ,with never used key code

Default Windows 98SE

I Got my old computer back From A friend after 3 years and started to clean it up. When i got done i tried to hook it up to my Cable modem and it did not work. i then went out and got a free AOL Trial Cd And still got nowhere.
    My Friend had no problem getting on line.
    I thought about doing a complete Wipe of the system and starting over, reloading windows 98SE. Do i need to download the drivers form the internet?
    My old computer is a pentium2 266mhz
    I also have Vonage.
    I,m thinking when i tried the dial up Vonage would not allow the connection.

Please start your own thread rather than hijacking another member's thread, thanks.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Default Windows 98Se

Sorry I am New Here. Did Not know I had to Start a new Thread/subject.

When you start a topic click new topic ask your question wait for a reply. then cont to use the reply as the thread progress. i would start a new topic on this.