Default Printer driver question

I just installed my brand new Epson R220 printer. I went to the website as instructed to see if there were any updated drivers. My brand new software version is 5.0. On the website, there was a driver called "version 5.5."

I am not at all clear how to update the driver from the one I just installed. The FAQs on the website were not all that helpful. There was mention of uninstalling any previous version of the driver from the add/remove prgrams, but when I went into my add/remove programs, I saw no driver listed there.

Can someone help walk me through the basics on this one? I would SO SO appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!
    Windows XP Pro/Pent 4/3.2 ghz/1 gig RAM

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

After downloading the update to a file (remember which one you save it to and unzip if it's zipped) Next go to Start > Control Panel > Printers & Faxes > rt click on the printer > Properties >Advanced tab > click New Driver > the Add Printer Driver Wizard will start > Next > click have disk button > Browse to the file where you saved the driver and select it > follow the remaing instructions. Reboot you PC after the Wizard has finished.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You remove drivers via the Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device manger.
    Just go to the line for the printer and doulble click on it. Under Drivers you are given choice to uninstall, update etc.
    It is better to uninstall before installing new drivers.
    Just remember to disconnect the printer if it is a USB type until the new drivers are installed.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I do have a USB connected printer. Do I turn off the printer for the whole process?

I see no printer listed in the device manager. I looked under everything in the list. There is a link for Image Devices, and it had my scanner, but no printer.

Can you help me further on this? I am not doing anything until I hear from you. Thanks so much.

Yes disconnect the printer[usb type] install the driver,reconnect boot-up system

I unzipped the file to a CD. I then followed your directions, and told the driver wizard to install from my CD drive. There appeared to be no activity coming from my CD drive (usually I can hear it when something is reading it). Then, a little bit after that, the driver wizard instructed me to insert the Epson printer original CD to capture some files. I took out my CD and put the Epson CD back in. Nothing happened.

I wonder if I should just follow the instructions on the automatic download. It is described as a self-extracting file that Epson apparently puts in a spot on my C: drive. I am wondering if this is designed to apply the driver automatically for me. (Even still, I do not know how to uninstall the printer driver that is already there because I cannot see a printer on my device manager.)

An help you can provide would be much, much appreciated by me. I am such a newbie that I cannot even figure this out with your directions thus far.

disconnect the the printer,follow the automatic download.shut down connect printer reboot.make sure you are disconnecting printer pull out the usb cable.review post#3 again