Default XP restarts as soon as logged in

My WinXP SP2 computer restarts its self just as it logs in to any account.

I woke up to find my computer had an error on it. It had been on all night and connected to the internet (if that helps you understand the situation). The error was something like this:

Explorer.exe - Application Error
    The instruction at "0x0105b1fe" referenced memory at "0x000000000". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

and 'Explorer.exe' was something else a couple times (if I saw it I would remember)

I kept clicking 'OK' and It would keep appearing, then the start menu and taskbar would disappear and appear. The warning kept appearing. I restarted properly and then the computer would keep restarting after "Windows is starting up...".

I tried going into Safe Mode and Safe Mode in Command Prompt and still restarts when I get to logging in.

I thought if I got to MS-DOS, I could launch System Restore and go back to a previous state, but it's easier said then done.

I have tried to boot from a Win98 CD, but I couldn't locate the C:\WINDOWS directory.

I've tried to boot from a Office 2000 Pro CD that had Word, Excel, and Outlook. I could brouse around the CD in Command Prompt, but that didn't help much.

Now, I'm onto booting from an WinXP upgrade CD. I've tried reinstall Windows, and when Windows Installation is just about done, the computer restarts and I had to restart all again. When I start up now, it is WinXP without Service Pack 2.
    In Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console, I have tried to open System Restore ("C:\WINDOWS\System32\Restore\rstrui.exe"), but I just get 'The command is not recognized. Type HELP for a list of supported commands.'
    Does anyone know how to open System Restore in Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console? Or even if is possible. Am I even on the right path?

Can anyone give me any hints as to WHY this error happened and what to do now to get my pc started properly?

I also have my all my files on a partitioncalled D:\ and I am willing to try to reinstall Win2K again and upgrade to XP. One more question is if I format or reinstall on the C: drive, will it effect the D:\ partition?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Have you tried reinstalling IE? This seems to have worked for other with similar errors.

No, how would I do that?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Check this out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378 , try a repair first. Keep us posted.

Well, in the link you just gave me, all the options are assuming you can get to Windows XP and click on Start and such, but I can't even get there.

I've tried to repair but after it reboots, its just the same problem.

Well, it seems that even with my First Boot Device as HDD-0, it won't even get to windows (big logo and green or blue bar).

Says its an 'Invalid system disk' and to 'Replace the disk, and then press any key'.
    I booted from a Windows 98 CD and now I'm in MSCDEX (CD-ROM "redirector" that enables CD-ROM access from the MS-DOS).

Code:
    A:\>dir A:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore

Volume in drive is CDBOOT
    Volume Serial Number is 0629-14F3
    Path not found

A:\>dir C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore

Volume in drive C has no label
    Volume Serial Number is 1D63-1605
    Path not founf

A:\>
    I don't know why it starts out in C:\> because my hard drive is usually in C: and A: is my floppy drive.

even putting C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore in quotes, I get the same response.

Still need help..as this keeps going on.

First of all a CD with 98 not going to be of any help. Two totally different Op systems, as far as I know.

I don't think XP uses a DOS.

Do you have a floopy drive, if so try this set 6 floppy disks. May need to set the BIOS to boot from the floppy first.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

BG