Default Can't print to lexmark x73

I recently went through the process of cleaning spyware from my system using the excellent step by step process from Help2Go and that worked fine. But somewhere in the process I lost the ability to print to the printer.

Here is some information that I hope helps:
    -Using XP home w/SP2, Lexmark x73 printer.
    -I was able to print before, but I never have been able to see the printer icon if I go to the control panel Printer section. In fact I planned to go there and delete and then add back the printer, but I can find no way to delete it.
    -If I press the Add a Printer command from the control panel it just sits there and does not start the add printer wizard.
    -The printer is also a scanner/copier and has a control panel program. I can direct the printer to scan to an email and that works so I know the computer can communicate with the printer.
    -It uses a USB connection

What can I do to start diagnosing and fixing this?

Thanks in advance,
    Carolyn

Hi cw - Did you get an installation cd with this printer? If so unplug the USB connection at the pc. Insert the installation disc and run it. Turn off the computer. Plug in the USB connector again and switch on the pc. See if that does the trick.
    If there was no cd. Take out the USB plug from the pc. Switch of the pc. After it has shut down, switch on the pc, without the USB plugged in. Turn off the pc again and when it has shut down plug in the USB and turn on the pc again. You should, hopefully, see a small pop-up window that says 'New Hardware Detected'. Just let the pc boot completely and see if that has fixed the problem.Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

I have the installation CD. I uninstalled the printer and then tried the reinstall process. It appeared to hang partway through the process (perhaps at the point it was trying to communicate to the printer). A Lexmark control dialog box opened but was just white and blank. I left it open for over 10 minutes before manually closing it. At that point the installation program said it had installed successfully.

But when I try to print I get the same problem - the print dialog control box opens but printing never begins and I have to shut down the computer to get the control box to close.

You have all been very helpful in getting the initial virus/spyware stuff off this system, but I now have 3 computers here at home with various problems and I'm about to pitch them all out windows! The really frustrating aspect is that I am a computer programmer but cannot get the computer hardware to function correctly on any of these 3!!! Ugh!

I have an email request into Lexmark to see if they can help, but will welcome any other suggestions any of you have.

Thanks,
    Carolyn