Default XP doesn't recognise new Hard Drive

I've just added a second hard drive to my Dell Dimension 8100 desktop. It is a Hitachi deskstar 80gb. i have put it on the same ide channel as me original hard drive so have set the jumper settings on the new hard drive to slave and the original hard drive jumpers to master with slave.

as far as i know this is all set up correctly...?

The bios recognises the new hard drive - it is set to auto and shows the capacity of the new drive. but when i boot up XP the drive is not visible in my computer.....

is there anything i'm doing worng or not doing? does the drive need formatting?

Thanks for the help.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

You should have a CD that came with the HD, it should set things up for you. If not, go here http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/mddwnld.htm and download & run md9Xfix.exe . Keep us posted

i downloaded and ran md9Xfix.exe but it says it is only for windows 95/98 and i have XP so the setup just terminates........

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Sorry about that .. take a look at this page, here ,I think this is your HD. Double check the 'Jumpers and configuration' and then see if there is an XP driver to download. How old is this HD

Set the jumper to CSEL (cable select) and see if xp picks it up. if it does not consider formatting the new hd at the dos prompt but you need to dismount the xp hdd and start with a boot floppy.
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.