Default Hard drive is not recognized properly - sees old drive

Heya all.

I have an issue with them hard drives - after wanting to get some files off an old hard drive I connected it to my comp. Prior to the connection I was running one 160gig SATA system drive (NTFS) and one 80gig IDE (FAT32) drive. The IDE drive's jumpers were set to 'nothing' and it was installed on the slave pin connector, i.e. the one down the middle of the cable. I then installed on the same cable as this 80gig IDE my old 20gig IDE (FAT32) drive (which also had a copy of windows on it). The jumpers on this 20gig IDE were also set to 'nothing' and it was placed on the master pin connector on the end of the IDE cable.

When I booted up I was able to get the info I wanted from the drive after windows installed the relevant drivers, it warned that I might have to restart though it seemed to function ok for the purposes of getting stuff off without restarting, so I didn't. I'm unsure as to whether at this point the system could see the original 80gig hard drive.

However once I shut down the comp and took out the 20gig drive and restarted found out that the system reported that the 20gig drive was still in there and could not see the original 80gig drive at all (the SATA system drive was thankfully unaffected). It reported the non-existant drive as having the same files as the 20gig drive did, but massively corrupted with wierdly named but still marginally recognisable folders etc. After restarting and enduring hours of checkdisk reporting 'orphan clusters and so on I pulled the plug again and I eventually found out that XP sees the 80 gig drive as the 20 gig one. Removing the 80 gig removes XP seeing the non-existant 20 gig. Looking at the hardware properties of the drive the volume tab says it is an 80gig drive, but also (at the bottom of the page) says its a 20gig one. I have tried removing the drivers associated with this phantom drive, but to no avail. It WILL NOT frakking recognise the 80 gig drive for what it is. The only thing I haven't tried is putting the 20gig phantom drive back in or changing the jumper settings on the 80gig to master or cable select. Im running SP2 on an Athlon64 3000 and nforce4. Any ideas on how I can get XP off the acid and into seeing reality??

Thanks 4 reading,
    Alex.

And never mind, I formatted the damnned thing. Goodby KOTOR II savegames.........