Thread: Control panel

Default Control panel

I just got a new replacement monitor yesterday and when I when I went to change my resolution I got an error message as follows....Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search...... This also happens when I try to access any icons in my control panel and Set program access and defaults. Can anyone help me on this PLEASE. I have spent two hours with with on-line help thru HP since my computer is a compaq and have tried several different things but to no avil.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Go to Start > Run > type in chkdsk /f note the space between the k and /) >OK. A window will open saying something to the effect that the PC needs to reboot for chkdsk to run > Y(es) >Enter > reboot. When pc restarts, let chkdsk do its thing (you may need to have your XP disk handy). This should repair any damaged or missing Windows files. (Note. If you have made any window changes to the Registry, they will return to their default settings).

Thank you I will try that