Default can't remove "Download accelerator plus"

I have windows xp. I used the "remove programs" to rid my computer of DAP. There is nothing I can find on the computer, did search, from the DAP program but - when I go to a virtual interactive map to click on - it goes to DAP and says "Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) could not be loaded, please press "Back" button in the browser".
    I've also gone to my browser's (Mozilla) preferences and clicked on "no download manager".
    Please tell me how I can rid my computer of any traces of DAP.
    I am, obviously, not very computer literate so please use very basic, laymen's terms.
    (This is my first post, my apologies if I'm not doing this correctly).

Thank you for your help.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Even though you have removed DAP, there are probably some files left. First, go to Start > Run > type in msconfig > Startup tab > scroll down to see if there are any entries for DAP .. if so uncheck the box nex to it (them) >OK. You will be asked to reboot .. do so. When your PC boots up you will get a Config window, check the box 'to not show again' >OK. If you are still having problems, suggest you download a free Registry Cleaner (Ccleaner is a fairly good one http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp ) run the program and clean up the Registry.