Default w2k to XP upgrade

The majority of the computers at my work are windows 2000. We have talked about upgrading to XP. And all the new computers we get already have XP.

So, my question is, if I upgrade all the w2k computers to XP ,can I do it without losing everything? Or does the install of XP have to be a clean install?

thanks,
    Leah

If you buy an XP upgrade CD, you should be able to retain your data. It is usually recommended to do a clean install, but sometimes an upgrade is necessary. Charlie

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Depending on the number of PC's to be upgraded, it may be worth your company's time to go for volume Licensing .. see http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/default.mspx

I may be missing something here so excuse me if I'm wrong.

But the computers you're using are all work ones so therefore fancyness etc isn't even close to being needed so I would assume all the extra graphics effects of XP are turned off. Which basically leaves you with Windows 2000 anyway. I have never come accross any software that had issues switching between such close versions of Windows and would have thought your company would be better suited to waiting for the newest version of windows rather than spending money upgrading one that is already begining to be wound down by microsoft.

I've never spent a huge amount of time on 2000 but I was under the impression that there was nothing wrong with it, and microsoft still issues patches etc I think?

If there is some overriding reason to go for xp I'd be interested to hear it, and what I've said here may not be 100% accurate, but imo it seems a bit of a waste of money. If its not broke don't fix it etc.