Default jpg photo renaming; photo result not

i have win2000
    i have Kodak imaging. My problem is:
    I try to rename a photo; it changes to another file with a windows logo. once changed=i try to open the photo; it prompts me to choose what to open with, and i choose imaging, it opens fine but goes back to the windows logo file.
    I also can't select the options "always open with"
    thanks for any help.

Sounds like you are changing or deleting the file extension when you are renaming it. Assuming the Kodak program uses the .jpg extension you need to make sure that is what the last 3 letters are after the dot when you rename if windows is set to show file extensions. It is sometimes better to hide file extensions to avoid this type of problem. Not sure about 2000 but in XP go as follows:

Start>my computer>tools>folder options. Then on the view tab check (or uncheck as desired) hide extensions for known file types. Hit apply then OK.

I am sure 2000 will not be too different.

Default problem fixed!

Thanks! :lol:
    I did the recommended steps and was able to rename the photo and add .jpg
    it works!
    my open program with still don't give me options to choose always open with
    each time i try to open any file-is there a choice under the folder in control panel that would make a viewer my default open application?
    I tried to find this in my win help but have not found a solution.
    Thanks. :lol:

Try the browse box, then find the correct program. I have had this happen before. Checking the program in the above suggested progarms does not want to hold.

BG

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If you open My Computer >Tools > Folder Options > File Types > scroll down to .jpg or .jpeg (doesn't matter which one, they are both handled the same) you can first try the change button there and assign a viewer (program) to open. If this doesn't work for you, go back in and delete .jpeg & .jpg >OK. Now, go to your picture file and open a .jpg file, see if this time you can assign a program. (Don't worry about deleting the file, it will be recreated).

If this doesn't work, you probably have a damaged windows file .. we can fix that if the above doesn't work first.

Keep us posted.

Default resolved!

I followed the instruction and resolved two issues.

1.computer>tools>folder options>view : checked the do not show hidden files and folder

2. checked the hide file extensions for known file types.

This gave me the option to rename my pics and without having to type .jpg and gave me the option to assign a program to open with.

I found that if i renamed with .jpg i didn't have the option to choose program to open with. Thanks for your step by step directions, very simple easy to follow.