Default i need to REALLY remove some stuff from my hard drive!

i clicked on a "secret comp tips" program. the next thing i new there was some terrible stuff on my hard drive. without thinking i sent it to the recycle bin and emptied it. now the thought of it still being on there somewhere disgusts me. do i have to reformat or can i overwrite it? please help. thanks, boyd.

If you sent secret comp tips to recycle bin and emptied it,Then terrible stuff is gone.run some scans.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Wouldn't worry about it, if you've emptied the bin, it is pretty well gone. It will eventually get overwritten by other data if still there. To give you peace of mind, go to Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options and "delete cookies", "delete files" and clear History. While your in the cleaning mood, why not do a Disk Cleanup and Defragmentation (Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools) just for good housekeeping practice :wink:

As others have said, for most purposes they are gone. For future concerns, you can use a program like Spybot to securely shred files upon removal. You can download here: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
    After install, follow these directions.
    Click on mode and choose "advanced", click on tools (lower left). You see see an option for "secure shredder", Simply drag and drop any files in the Spybot window and shred. Charlie

In the sense that the offending material cannot be accessed normally via windows, then yes, it is gone. In reality part or all of the files may still exist on your hard drive and will continue to do so until such time as windows uses that part of your hard drive for something else and overwrites them. This may have already happened or it may not happen for years dependent on many different factors.

However you can use tools that will overwrite your hard drive.
    ERASER is one such free tool for the job. Once installed go to my computer and right click on your hard drive(s) then select erase unused space.

Assuming you have really deleted the all of the files and all copies of them that the program, your browser or windows may have made, then the offending material will now be gone.

However if you want to be 100% sure they are gone then there is more drastic action that can be taken i.e wipe your entire hard drive. Insructions to do this can be found HERE

Boydphoto:

I certainly did not want to recommend this post - I hit the wrong key.

YOU Need to watch what you are doing !!!!!!

BG