Default Word 2k requests virus scan

Greetings

I am running Word 2k on a Win XP (SP2) pc that also has Norton Antivirus 2004. Everytime I open a Word document, I noticed in the lower left corner that Word is requesting a virus scan. My pc isnt exactly a speed demon and this slows things down a bunch. This really isnt necessary when I am opening a document that I authored on this pc. Is there any way to disable the scan or at least have it prompt me that way I can choose whether or not to scan it depending on the document's source?

Thanks.

alot of folks here don't care for norton anti pc,i mean virus.You may be able to or want to disable norton while working in word.unless there is a feature with in norton to do it.Also wait for other replies as i am no expert on norton.

Yeah I prefer Macaffee (recently voted #2 anti virus by Pc World, IIRC) and am currently running 06 on a different pc without an issue. Norton brings up false positives, etc. The other pc I referred to came with Norton and I didnt want to shell out the cash for another macaffe subscription so am kinda stuck with Norton on that rig.

Thanks for the reply.