Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't get Windows XP to install and other stumpers

I have so many problems I don't now where to start so I will start here. I have a Compaq Presario 7360/windows 98SE(don't laugh-it was cheap).500MNz ADM-K6(r)-2 processor w/3DNow! technology, 100MHz system bus I have upgraded mem to 312mb. I decided to install a bigger hd as they are so cheap and mine was full. I have a 10gb hd ultraDMA - quantum fireball. I installed a maxtor 6Y120P0 120GB as a slave, keeping the old hd as master. I used all the maxtor software to partition new hd and copy the entire old hd to new. I decided to make the new hd master and old slave after the copy and all went fine. So I get the bright idea to upgrade OS to win xp from win 98se as several friends told me it was so much better etc. Win xp recommended I upgrade my BIOS before the install so I did, direct from the compaq site, after talking with their tech support to make sure I had right ROMpaq. That went fine, or so I thought. When I tried to install xp it would get to just before installing the files and keeps giving me OE fatal exception errors of various kinds but mostly 0028AD5D097 (these are different) but they most all occur in VXD VSAPI32(01) +00026097. Then application terminates and I get 3-4 OD errors. I attempted the install MANY times. I called windowsXP tech NON support and after many long HOURS of no help I finally talked with a level 4 tech( I guess their top techs) He could not figure out why and is supposed to be still working on it although it has been 2 weeks since I have heard from him. I have talked with numerous Compaq/HP tech support and they are unable to find the problem. Here is the kicker. When I updated the BIOS, it took the CD ROM out of my boot order options! It is gone and no one knows how to get it back. Yes, I have tried restore defaults and save many times over. Everyone is stumped and I am ready to toss xp n the trash, although I am going to get my money back first. I have 2 notebooks of notes from talking with and researching the net for help on this. I even erased my new hd, did a clean install of the old hd files and tried the xp install again. My questions are, Where did my cd rom go in the BIOS boot order and how can I get it back? My only choices are floppy and hd. What are these pesky VXD VSAP errors and what can I do about them, and why won't xp install. I ran all the tests xp recommended and even a few rcommended off of expert sites on the net to make sure my system met requirements and it came up with nothing that would make it not work. When I downloaded the XP floppies to try and bypass the cd rom install and it gets to 58 min trying to install xp files and starts with the same VXD VSAP etc errors. Here is something I noticed in the system info and not sure what it means. There is something called system board extension for ACPI BIOS under system devices. It has a yellow exclamation mark on it. When I click on it it says This device is causing a resource conflict(code 15)To resolve the conflict click hardware troubleshooter and follow the instructions in the wizard. When I do this the wizard opens and I click on I need to resolve a conflict on my computer. It either locks up totally or goes to a blank screen. I am sorry to pile all this on but if there is any brilliant, compassionate soul out there who can help my I will be ever so grateful! Thank you very much!

Paula

Hi Paula - Have you tried disabling the device with the ! mark? Right Click the device and then click 'disable'. Alternatively you could try 'update driver' (also right click) and then 'update driver'. Follow the instructions for the 'update driver wizard). Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Thank you for responding. I will try the disable. My main question in all of that mess is how can I get the cd rom back in the boot order? I have tried restore defaults in BIOS, I just tried taking the CMOS battery and was told it would take everything back to factory settings but the BIOS is still the upgraded version. I have screamed and yelled at HP/COMPAQ(who are ALL a bunch of blithering IDIOTS!) and was told(by HP/COMPAQ) to restore the OS back to the original settings with the cd - what a laugh you morons, I CAN'T START/BOOT FROM A CD BECAUSE THE BIOS WON'T RECOGNIZE THE CD, it is not in the boot order, they can't seem to fiqure that out.Sorry for yelling but I awas yelling at HP/COMPAQ. So far no one has been able to solve this problem. I do thank all of you for trying though. I guess it is just one of those things out there in computer twilight zone that has no answer. Thank you all. If anyone has a solution I would be very grateful!

Paula :cry:

i can understand what you have had to deal with. my friend has same exact pc (single processor) and went thro' similar issues with the hp/paq guys and pc never had cdrom boot option. it appeared after bios upgrade, then dissappeared never seen again since. after hustling with hdd's issues here's how it finally worked out - i formatted the quantum with Win9x floppy, started xp install from dos, left file system as FAT32, and finally slaved the bigger hdd. eventually all went ok with none VXD errors. have you tried to install on FAT32? personally i now prefer to go with FAT's - and i haven't had a security issue.
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.

homescool05 chill ....
    "Everything is gonna be fine, i'm on the edit sending in the fox" - sirus

maybe I can help jog someone's memory .... I believe that about 5 or 6 years ago I herd about a factory bios reset flash, I think .....

But for SURE, you can re-purchase your bios maybee from tigerdirect??
    or the maunfactuor;s site for positive !!!

UNLESS ITS LIKE A DELL, then me bucko' you need to repurchase the motherboard, just to get the bios back, for the reason that the mobo cant interchange bios chips, because dell OWNES the bios....

sorry to be straight forward but thats just what I see.
    Im about %75 sure about the factory bios flash.

good luck, I gotta keep readin this one....

Hi HilbilyZeke - "Everything is gonna be fine, i'm on the edit sending in the fox" - sirus.
    It would be appreciated if, in future, that you omit 'mutha#@$@^ ' from any posts. H2G is generally regarded as a family site and, as such, discourages this type of language. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Thank you for responding! I feel so at home here since I was treated like a red headed step child with HP/Compaq! I am just a novice when it comes to computers but I feel pretty confident working on the inside. Could you explain a little more about exactly the steps you took to get the BIOS back? Mine was there with the original BIOS, HP told me to upgrade using their ROMpaq 7/2000 I think but can find out for sure and when tried to upgrade to windows xp kept getting the vdx vsap errors, then went into bios and discovered no cd rom, tried the restore to defaults about a million times, tried flashing the bios or removing CMOS battery, tried re-installing same bios, and every time tried installing xp to new hd only using FAT32. I was afraid to install to old hd as did not want to lose any info. I appreciate all of your help and will greatly appreciate any further help. I DO NOT have the windows 98 floppies as it came pre-installed on the computer and they hide the os on a partition on the hd, was told that by a hp supervisor. I had a friend send me a supposed windows 98 floppy via email and I downloaded and formatted floppy etc but when I try to boot from it all I get is the a prompt and I am not smart enought to know how to install or run it.
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Paula
    first things first. i do not respond to pm'd questions so i'll repsond here so it may benefit anybody whomever it may. secondly you'll notice a marked difference between hp/paq folks - helping you has to do with paycheck, here volunteer spirit is supreme - make me happy as a clam at high tide. so glad to know you feel @ home and welcome.

now to the meat and potatoes. i do not have a set precise way on how to get the pc cdrom boot option back in the bios. while we were messing with bios upgrade it appeared and then i don't know. i suppose it depends on which rompaq you use. and i could not find the 7/2000 you mentioned to read on it. i needed a bios install so i ended up using the winME ones(they don't have one for XP) first SP15894.exe then SP17455.exe as it lists 7360's and it was released after SP15894.exe.

bottom line i can tell you how to get xp installed from dos A:\> and afterwards you can google how to fix the cdrom boot option.

after you prepare your hdd for install boot pc with the floppy and select start with cdrom support option.
    type the following at A:\> "smartdrv" (w/o Qmarks) it speeds up the process.
    to launch XP installer you need to execute the file winnt. it's in the i386 directory on your cdrom. that's it. so you can type at A:\>X:\i386\winnt. "X:\" whatever is your cdrom drive is.

remember to download other 7360 drivers, you'll need them.
    lastly once you are up and running head here http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy33.htm to get yourself an XP boot disk for a rainy day. if in fact you hadn't formatted your XP install this boot disk can boot you to your desktop and you can restore corrupted files and actually run XP, amazing aint'it.

P/S
    if you encounter vxd errors try installing on the other hdd - not much of a suggestion but. and if they still come up post back specifically.

if cdrom boot option is a stickler for you between those two SP rompaqs and the Win98 update rompaq SP17455.exe at least one has a cdrom boot option, i don't recall which one it could be tho', sorry.
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! You are right about HP and the all mighty $$. I was even told, you will have to pay for support and then we still can't help you because we no longer support win 98. I asked why would I want to pay and not get support. He replied, you will haver to pay to find that out! Anyway, I would much rather donate to Help2go then pay HP any day! I wil try your suggestions. I had downloaded and installed the Rompaq's SP17455, 5-16-2001 and the previous one SP15894. I did the sp15894.exe first then the newer one, SP17455 as recommended by HP. I do wonder about the BIOS version showing in my computer after the SP17455.exe was used. it said ROMpaq 5-16-2001 version 1:04 rev a but when I check my BIOS the date is 07/25/00. Would/should it be the 5-16-2001 date of the ROMpaq? that is where I had the 7/2000 date in my mind from. I followed all the instructions to the letter(I thought) on updating the BIOS, could I have made an error that way? I have tried upgrading the BIOS 2 more times with the SP17455 floppy and it keeps saying it is already upgraded to that version but I go ahead and finish the process. Oh to have my 12/28/1999 version back. I have a thought( a rare thing) both of my sisters have the identical computer and have never updated the BIOS. Can I back up their bios to a floppy and use it to install on mine? I read you were supposed to backup your bios before you upgrade(unfortunately I read this AFTER I had upgraded). It probably will only back it up to the computer but I wondered. I am going to give your great ideas a try - again, thank you all for being so nice and helpful! BTW, happy as a clam at high tide is one of my most favorite sayings! Wish me luck.

Paula

Update: I hate to admit defeat but I gave up and bought a new computer yesterday - and NO it is not a HP/Compaq. I got an Emachines and will LOVE it! At least it works. The last straw was compaq had me change some of the IDE settings in Bios to disable and restart. This was several things and several times, and sure enough the CD ROM came up in the boot order with the floppy but no hard drive. So, I try to install windows xp as the cd rom was working and I did not know about the hard drive not being in boot order being a problem and low and behold it gets to the install point and tells me I have not hard drives installed. The cables/jumpers everything have been checked and double checked and they worked for 3 weeks before I had a stupid moment and called compaq about upgrading to windows xp. I ran the maxtor diagnostics and they said the hard drives were fine but the ACPI bios was bad or corrupt or not there. I have tried until I had a migraine to get it back to nd and floppy in boot order but my dear hubby told me "why don't you just admit you lost this one and get another computer" I HATE THAT! I can't let this piece of plastic and metal get the best of me. I was told by one tech at CompUsa to go to ebay and buy a motherboard, he said the AMD K6-2 would work as long as I match up the major info. Is this true? Of course make sure it is tested and guaranteed. He found 2 online while talking to me for under $30. The other Best Buy tech said to get a utility or something to erase or clear the bios and then try the upgrade as repeat upgrades can sometimes mess us the BIOS and make it bad. Is this true. Any thoughts from the helpful wizards out there? Thank you ALL for the help. I really apprecaite it.

The tech that told you a certin mobo will work, was not lying. If I remember correctly HP purchased intel mobo's, wrote thier own bios, or purchased it from intel, and re-wrote it.
    So, matching up the mobo's will work, you must identify the manufactuer of your mobo, in order to interchange the mobo's. when you do purchase a mobo, it will always come with a cd that has all its needed drivers, along with the mobo manual.

The tech that told you the bios can go bad, was not lying, tech said to get a utility or something to erase or clear the bios. before that make sure you checkout a HP forum, (one should exist) and ask for a pm from someone willing to copy thier bios, and send it to you. from the same mobo of course.

When purchasing a mobo, you also must make sure that the screw holes on the case match the new mobo. It is always good to ask questions from the mobo manufacturer, connect with em, chat, smhooze, slip and slide and you will recieve the answers you are lookin for.

"he said the AMD K6-2 would work as long as I match up the major info" he's right, the physical info. ie you already have a chip, power supply etc ... the software will b on the cd that comes with the mobo.

Hope I helped ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast