Default IDE device failure

HELP!! I have been on the phone with Dell to find out that my warranty is out and they will not answer questions unless I pay again. I have a problem with my programs that connect to the internet. If I click on my IE icon nothing happens. If I click on the AOL icon I get the sign on page but nothing happens. I was going to do a system restore but that page won't come up either. I did a test that Dell told me I could do and I get an error that says IDE device failed. Blank media is present in optical drive. Has anyone had this problem before and if so what to do?

Are all your drives working ? Using ME or XP ?

Right Click "My PC" on the desk top>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager. Are there any "! in the harddrive/CD/Floopy drives.

I guess we can assume the PC you used posting this is not the PC you are having problems with.

BG

Default IDE Device Failure

I did as you suggested and tried to go to properties in "My Computer" and when I click on properties nothing happens. I went to "Manager" and pulled up the devices that way. There were no ! listed there. Some pages will come up and some won't. When I click on "System" in the control panel it hoses everything up and I have to turn off the computer with the on/off button because it also will not shut down. this happens on several pages I click on. I am running XP. I have a laptop that I can log on to to check posts after I leave work. Any more suggestions before I have to look for a shop? Thanks for your suggestions!!

Have you tried a system restore back to before you had problems? Charlie

Default IDE device failure

Actually that was the first thing I was going to do but the page won't come up. When I click on the "System Restore" it just sits there until I shut down. That is my problelm. All other programs work unless they need to connect to the internet. Does this sound like a virus?

Try starting in safe mode by tapping f8 during boot. Choose safe mode, you will get a screen that says hit yes for safe mode or no to go to system restore. Try hitting no and see if you can bring up system restore that way. If not, it is possible that you have a virus or worm. Try going here and following directions: http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Pro...Hijackers.html
    Charlie