Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default xp wont recognise and install camera or i pod

G'day all
    Bought daughter cheap digital camera, no drivers to be installed (except for 98) Supposed to be plug and play. Works perfectly on friends computer (xp) but not on mine.
    To-day i pod arrived, same problem.(not tried friends puter yet)
    Does not appear as "drive f" like it is supposed to.
    I am not anywhere near as computer literate as most that I see on this site. I have no doubt that I have changed some setting to cause this problem, but dont know where to look. Any help gratfully recieved
    Tony
    Compac evo 1.8
    xp, 20g hd, etc

Hi

I assume both of these devices connect using USB? Have you checked something you know works in this port as it sounds like the port itself could be broken.

Try other ports on your computer to se how they function.

As an aside, if your computer only supports USB1 it is probably a good idea to get yourself a USB2 PCI card, especially when dealing with I-Pods and other devices that transfer a lot of data you'll appriciate the speed increase.

thanks for the reply cruz1701, but (1) problem exists on all four usb ports at rear of mechine and two on front. (2)My wife's camera works on all usb ports. netcam works on all usb ports.
    Tony

To clarify, when camera or i pod plugged in to my computer xp recognises that "new hardware found" but needs driver (code 28).
    Camera manufactures site states "no driver requiered"
    ??????????
    Tony

Hi ynot - Do you have all the latest Windows Updates?
    Also this info from ipod -Windows PC specification for ipod = Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or later or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Thanks for reply galena1,
    XP professional, all updates and service packs up to date.
    tony

Check in the computer BIOS. There may be a setting to disable USB ports. Exactly how you get into BIOS will vary by computer. Some hit DELETE during boot, others use F1 or some other key. At the first start up screen, it should say "Hit ? to enter set up". Hit whatever it says. Once in the BIOS, look around at the different options to see if you find anything dealing with USB. Charlie

Thanks for reply Grim322
    As all the usb ports are enabled and work with other devices, could bios be selective and only single out these two devices?
    Tony

Hi tony - What is make and model of the camera?Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Thanks again galena,
    Camera is (el-cheapo from china) "megxon S1"
    Works fine on two others computers but not mine!!
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast