Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hard drive help

Default hard drive help

ok so, ive made the one cardinal nerd rule. drinking around my computer.

needless to say, i have this problem.

when ever i try to boot, i get a message that says..

"cannont boot from disk please enter a system disk"

now, before i got spending money, is this just a hard drive problem. now when i took the hard drive out to inspect it, it had some coffee on the underside. ive learned my lesson, dont start.

also, this may be a two part question.

in order for me to buy a new hard drive, which im going to do so from newegg, im not sure what IDE or any of that means.

here are the specs as per i can tell from my hard drive.

It is an IBM Deskstar. Created in august of 2000. yes, i know warranty is more then void.

capacity - 76.8gb
    lba - 150.136.560
    rpm - 7200

model number - DTLA-307075

it says - ATA/IDE on it.

whats a good suggestion hard drive wise, under $100.

i was thinking one of these two...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145091
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144181

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Are you able to boot up in Safe Mode?

no, it wont let me boot up at all.

says something like, cannont read from bootdisk, insert a system disk and hit enter to continue...

Don't be offended by this simple suggestion, but is there a floppy disc inserted? It's the cause of that messeage 9 times out of 10.

Also have you checked the boot sequence in your BIOS? Is it set to boot from hard drive?

Before you go buying a hard drive make sure it is actually at fault. Might be worth checking to see if you can find a diagnostic tool on the manufacturers website (these tools are usually in the form of a small program that fits onto a floppy disc).

If all else fails try to load an OS onto the drive. XP would be perfect as it is the easiest. Just set your machine to boot from CD drive and start up with XP inserted. It will guide you through and if the hard drive is physically damaged you will probably get no further than the format stage and XP will report that it cannot format the disc.

no, there are no discs anywhere in my box. no floppys, no cd's, no dvds. id be more then happy to download a diagnostic tool, well if my computer would boot up. but then again if that happened, i wouldnt be here asking about it...

and about the boot sequence, why would it mysteriously stop working? the sequence has booted up "fine" for the last 3 years.

ya, thats what im looking for. having computer-retarded friends is awesome for finding a OS.

though, im almost 60% positive it's the hard drive. if you remember from my first post, there was coffee all over it.

Default Problems Huh..

I had this same problem about 9 months ago.. and it was actually a virus that uninstalled my operating system and overclocked my cpu.. it burnt up my power supply also.. . but i just installed a new power supply and a new OS and it worked fine.. you should maybe think about doing the same.. ... dont know if i helped any.. but.. thats what i did :P

Hi teh - Did you read the reviews? It seems there's a class action lawsuit against Hitachi re one of their Deskstar models. Both models are OEM so you will get the drive in a box and probably little, if anything, else.
    What operating system is on the PC?
    Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

If you are planning on installing a new hard drive then you will need an os to load onto it regardless. So obtain the OS as the 1st step and try it on your existing hard drive. If it fails go ahead and get the new hard drive.

I'm not sure about Haitachi hard drives. I do not like maxtors as Iv'e had a few that have failed young and one that was brand new that would not format.

I usually go for Seagates as I find them cheap & reliable.

Regarding the diagnostic tool. You are obviously on a computer now so cant you download one on it then use it on the problem PC? It will be in the form of a floppy disc image that will bypass most of the "normal" things that happen on boot up and try to get to the cause of your problem.

For example this is the maxtor one:
    http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Ma...&downloadID=22

I am not sure if there is one for the hard drive you have and i dont have time to look right now, but it may be worth you doing so.

EDIT: Actually it may even be worth trying the maxtor one on your hard drive...it looks generic to me.

cannont read from bootdisk, insert a system disk and hit enter to continue...
    in win9x+me the solution for this is to sys c: what os you are running?
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.

Hi, I received the same Warning when i booted my XP machine.
    I simply held down "control/alt/Delete" simultaneously and the
    machine rebooted to the Desktop. I also, upon occasion, received
    a message from the Mother Board at bootup"Smart Diagnostic" feature that stated my "Hard Dr. was in danger of failing and i need to back up
    all data and replace hard drive". I replaced the Drive with a Seagate(Texsized is correct about price/reliability factor of Seagate drv's.) and all
    is well once again. I went from a 60gig Maxtor to a 120gig Seagate,
    Baracudda drive and it spins at 7200rpm, where the Maxtor only spun at
    5400rpm. There is a difference in the computers performance now.
    Of course, reinstalling XP cleared all the old stuff off the computer and that prob. helped too!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast