Default PC won't restart!

I'm running Windows 98SE and I've been removed/added software recently, however some of it requires the computer to be restarted so when I click on restart your computer, I get the 'Windows is shutting down' screen and that's it .....it just sits there forever saying that windows is shutting down but doesn't... any suggestions. Thanks

See if the link below is helpful.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d...tured/Win98SE/
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The most common cause for shutdown problems is spyware, auto update services and monitoring applications such as virus scanners.
    Other causes are commands left over by bad uninstall routines and corrupted files such as drivers and sounds.
    Fisrtly disable all sounds. I don't mean your players but those annying windows sounds. Do this via the Control Panel/Sounds.
    Next scan for virues, spyware and BHO (See out tutorials on this)
    Update all drivers for sound cards, grpahics card, printers etc.
    Update you BIOS.
    If this fails open msconfig (Start, Run, Type msconfike and click OK.
    Under Startup look for and uncheck any unusual entries. (http://personal-computer-tutor.com/procs.htm will help you identify entries)
    Aslo do some house keeping such as Dsk Cleaning and defragging.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I've followed all the instructions as per Bear's link but nothing helped.

I don't think the problem is virus/spyware as I'm most particular about now about scannning ever since being attackd by it previously.

I defrag once a month and the disc cleanup empties all temp files etc on startup. I also regularly look for and update drivers etc. There is some software which does update it self eg Avast Antiv.

I did have a problem with the display but that was also sorted out (thanks to the forum!) so I'm not sure what the prtoblem is. I'll have a look at the other thing that you suggest Whooze and let you know how I get on

gemini