Default W98SE upgrade to XP home edition

I found a good site explaining installing the XP upgrade, but at the end of the list it has this="If you are lucky you will have no drivers to install, but chances are the next step will be to install them."Check out Device manager for unknown devices, likely items are Network Cards,Sound Cards, Printers, Scanners, Graphics Cards, Digital Cameras, plus any other item you have."
    Would I need a mother board driver? will all my software such as Word, Works, Excel and so on still be installed?
    Is the installation much more difficult than it seems- as I do not have a great knowledge of computers to back me up; or is it straightforward?
    I need to upgrade as I tried again to go on Broadband with BT and they checked out my computer and the report came back "Our Broadband will NOT work properly with W98SE". Any help greatly appreciated Cheers Jim

Device drivers: Those written for the Windows 95/98/Me environment often won't run on Windows NT/2000/XP, which means that someone (usually Microsoft or the original vendor) has to write or update the drivers. Microsoft has made sure the drivers are in place for the most popular hardware. However, it may be impossible to get the drivers you need for old hardware that's no longer being made or for hardware from defunct companies. Also see this link.http://www.theeldergeek.com/upgrading_to_windows_xp.htm

Thanks Zep
    I understand what you say- I know some of my software is from companys now long gone or merged, I will see how things go and checkout with Belarc all my installed drivers to see what I can and cant get, again thanks for your reply. Cheers Jim.

Naturally the first thing you must do is to back up your files on CD/DVD's

Next run www.belarc.com save it, it should fit on a floppy disk. This as you know will give you the info on drivers/programs.

XP Practice loading -It is a "Windows XP Setup Simulator" it appears just to be program on practicing on how to install XP. I have not tried it yet. You are not actually installing XP, it is just to show you all the screens you will see when you do. Looks like it will be very interesting.

http://www.echoproject.net/en/software/catalog.html

In theory all your MS programs "should" be OK since you are doing an up grade. If you have really old camera/scanners there could be a problem with these, the same with really old programs. Such as a 95/98 type programs.

I sure Partie or Bear can give you better guidance, as I have only done an "upgrade" once. My grade went fine, except I ended up buying a new scanner as the one I had could not use XP.

As far as the MOB, you can use the Belarc info and with the board makers site and see. Betting it can as is.

As far as your current 256 RAM, that is a little thin, but should work just fine as long as you keep all the start up things to a minimum. My new cheap Dell Laptop only came with 256 and it is OK for most things.

BG

I just tried it it' a very nice simulator .It actually asks for product id code but you hit next and it moves to next screen thanks BG.

Thanks Zep and BG I downloaded the simulation link and I am going to try this right now cheers Jim

This question is now resolved thanks for your time and help BG and Zep,cheers Jim.