Default Transfering files from C drive to D drive

My 10 gig C drive is about full and the 33 gig D drive is virtually unused. What is the best method to transfer files to the D drive - copy & paste, cut & paste, some sort of rename or send function? If I move folders, do the files they contain automatically go with them, or does that really only change the address?

Also as far as strategy, should I move data files, system files, or both?

System Info: Win 98SE, 900mhz, 256 RAM, 10 gb C drive, 33 gb D drive

Thanks so much.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I would suggest you first copy and paste for good measure, if the paste function messes up (which can happen) you'll still have the original on C drive. After you're sure the files are transfered, then delete from C. Yes, you can either copy folders or files over (files remain in the folder). When you say System files, are you refering to win 98se files? If you are, don't move them. If you're refering to other program files, I would suggest you install them on D drive from their disk and then uninstall them from C drive.

Thanks so much for the advice. At risk of wearing out my welcome fast, a few more questions...

I have a folder called 'C: Program Files', was probably first created when I first started up the computer. I think its probably been the default for every program added in the last 5 yrs, and who knows what else. Another folder called C: Windows, same sort of situation. Is it OK to change the Program Files to D: and leave the Windows files alone? Or do I have to be smart enough to be selective (don't even recognize many of the sub-folders by name)?

And when its done, what sort of maintenance should I do to recover the space on C?

Thanks et merci

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

No, you must leave both folders on C: . If you go to Start >Control Panel > Add/Remove programs this will show you what's installed in C:\Program Files. I would suggest that first you remove any programs you no longer use or want. Then, with the programs remaining you need to check and make sure you still have the program disks that you originally used for installation. If you have these, you can install the programs to D drive .. once up and running, go back to Add/Remove Programs and remove (remember you may need to go to the program sites for any updates). If you have programs that you no longer have disks for, leave them there.

After you've done all this, you could download the free Registry cleaner Ccleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp and run it. Check out the site to see how it works. After you've done all this, I recommend you go to Start> All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter (this is where it is in XP, may not be the same for 98) and defrag your C: drive.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Another note,

if you want to save space but install programs somewhere besides the default C:\program files directory you're more than welcome to do so. When you run the installer/setup file for the software you wish to install it will ask where you want to install it to. You can tell it to install to D:\program files\software (where software is the name of the software you wish to install). Of course, D:\program files can also be named anything else you wanted it to be. As for the stuff that's already there don't move/copy/cut/paste, whatever, the C:\windows folder nore the C:\program files folder. If you would like to move the stuff located in C:\program files you wil have to uninstall that piece of software and reinstall it telling it that you'd like to install it somewhere on D:\

Partieā„¢

Hi

Just one thing ... on 9x systems (win98) always run scandisk before doing a defrag if you try to defrag a corrupt file, you could end up with more than you bargained for.

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -