Default new comp. boot up doesn't find sata hdd

after a lot of frustration and dead-ends i have found this site. i've looked through quite a few posts here, and a few come close to answering my problem, but none do. here it is:

i'm running ASUS a8v deluxe MB with athlon 64 3700+ processor. i just purchased a WD1600jd HD from ebay. (yeah i know) i boot up computer and hit delete to enter bios setup and i can't find any sata references to help recognize HD except something that says SATA BOOTROM - enable/disable and PROMISE enable/disable. both are enabled. in one of the boot pages there are three lines that say

SATA378 bios
    detecting......
    bios not detected

i reboot and wait until it says"boot from cd press any key" i hit enter and it goes into windows xp pro setup. i hit f6 to install 3rd party drivers and select "windows xp ATA378 controller driver" it begins going through setup and says "initiating windows" then goes to a screen that says "unable to detect hdd or mass storage device. make sure power is on and everything is plugged in."

i've looked up the drivers on the ASUS installation cd and tried every single one. none work - the hd cannot be detected. what confuses me is that on the first page of boot it shows the wd1600jd on CH 1 and if i hit tab i can see the HD and it's specs, but i'm not able to make any changes because the change section is greyed out.

so, from my point of view, the bios is picking up the hard drive, but windows xp pro is not picking it up. is this due to missing drivers, or does the current bios need to be updated? if so, how do i update bios? a lot of questions here, but i am stumped, and so are my tech friends. please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi mate I have a gigabyte motherboard but had the same problem. It turned out that I had to disable the sata raid option in the BIOS, which I only found eventually after checking the gigabyte site as it was a common problem. Have a look to see if u can find a similar option as i was stumped as well but the problem was exactly the same and it solved it straight away. The bios not installed also occured on mine, so just have a look, or maybe visit ASUS siste to see if they ahve naything about it on there. Hope this helps!

i looked at that and basically reset my defaults in my bios and it found the hdd. now after loading windows it tries to boot for first time and i get a blue screen because of files that weren't loaded properly...i'll post a new topic about this...thanks anyway.