Default Question on IDE, SATA, Ultra ATA, ATA 133 drives

Quick question for someone that may know. What is the difference between them?? I bought a usb to IDE adapter cable that handles 3.5 aND 2.5 inch drives. It basically allows you to make an internal bare drive an external drive. I am plaining on getting a USB Hauppauge TV tuner card so I can record shows off of cable and record it to an external drive, sorta like TiVo.
    Circuti City is having a sale on an ultra ATA 7200 160 Gig drive for $49.
    Question is would I be able to use it with my ide/sata adapter cable?
    Also, what is the maximum limit hard drive size that Windows XP will support? I saw this hard drive that was 500 Gigs!

Thanks!
    Bob

Since this is going to be a USB drive, the type of drive should enter into it.
    The PC should just see it like a "camera card/flash drive/etc"

However if you are trying to use a 3.5in drive, it will probably require an external 12 v power, were as a 2.5 maybe able to be powered by the USB port itself.

BG

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

XP does have limits but not it would worry you. The main concern is the BIOS.
    S long as it has Interrupt 13 extensions, which if the computer is a reasonably modern one it has, then the limit is 9 terrabytes.
    As I said that limit would not wory you yet, well until Microsoft bring out the OS that will supercede Vista. :wink:
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.