Default upon startup comp beeps

When I start up my computer it beeps an alarm sound and I have to accept the os and to have it start normally for anything to load. Any ideas what needs to be done to fix this? Thank you.

We need more information, what's the make & model of the computer & what version of Windows is installed? Also is this a series of beeps, some long some short or is it a constant beeping like an alarm?
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Default further info for beeps

Dell Inspiron 8500, Windows XP
    If I remember correctly one set is long and short and the other is continuous like an alarm. Thanks!

See if this helps.

http://www.bioscentral.com/postcodes/dellbios.htm

Dell BIOS Beep Codes:

Beep Codes Possible Causes Corrective Action

1 - 2 No video card detected Reseat the video card

1 - 2 - 2 - 3 BIOS ROM checksum error

1 - 3 - 1 - 1 DRAM refresh error Reseat the memory modules

1 - 3 - 1 - 3 8742 Keyboard Controller error Reseat the keyboard connector

1 - 3 - 3 - 1 Memory defective or not present Reseat the memory modules

1 - 3 - 4 - 1 RAM failure on line xxx Reseat the memory modules

1 - 3 - 4 - 3 RAM failure on data bits xxx of low byte on memory bus Reseat the memory modules

1 - 4 - 1 - 1 RAM failure on data bits xxx of high byte on memory bus Reseat the memory modules
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Default beeps

The beep alarm is not any of the sequences listed on the bios list. It is more like 6 or 7 then 2 then 6 or 7 again ---- it is very fast and hard to count. Any ideas from this point? Thank you.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You say you have to "Accept the OS" Exactly what do you mean. What is the message you see?
    the only time I see this is a dual boot system. Have you attempted to install Linux in the past?
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I have never done a dual boot or done anything with Linux.

What happens is that the Dell logo screen comes up with the progress bar at the bottom, when the bar gets to just over 3/4 of the way across the beeping starts, the screen goes black then comes up with white letters asking about starting up in safe mode, etc (kinda like what it used to look like with a dos start up screen) -- one choice is to start windows normally, this is what I chose, then the next screen (still black screen with white letters) asking to confirm I want to use Windows XP. I accept it and the computer starts up.

Another tech (that is working on spyware issues with me but also knows about the beeping) asked what bios I have but I don't know how to find that info - can anybody help with that?

Thanks.

Hi - Download and run this free program -
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    Your BIOS will be detailed under the heading 'Main Circuit Board'
    Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome