Default Unable to copy VIASRAID.SYS, .CAT, or .INF from floppy

installing new HDD and everything is go until i hit f6 at XP setup. at the bottom of the page it says copying VIASRAID.SYS then proceeds to load windows, partition HDD, and assign letter and such. at one point it stops and says "Unable to copy VIASRAID.SYS" then shows a list saying

to retry hit enter,
    to skip hit ESC (although windows may not run properly without said files),
    or F3 to quit.

i hit enter and it shows the floppy is reading, but says"can't copy file." BUT IT'S RIGHT THERE ON THE FLOPPY! so i hit ESC then it says unable to copy VIASRAID.CAT - same process, until finally i hit ESC. then it says unable to copy VIASRAID.INF

all three files are on the floppy, but it won't copy them at the crucial point. after hitting ESC it runs through and completes the installation and reboots the computer. it shows XP loading for 2 secs then goes bluescreen saying the following:

"check for viruses on computer. remove any newly installed HDD or HDD controllers. check your HDD and make sure it's properly configured and terminated. run CHKDSK /F to check for HDD corruption then restart computer.

tech info:

*** STOP 0x0000007B (0xF79F7528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

i know the three files that are missing and is there any way to put them onto the HDD through DOS or something? they are right there, but after a second attempt, the same messages occured. why can't they be copied if they are on the floppy disk?

i shall not give in to the machine.

during xp install a hdd with surface errors can make this message appear due to copying errors. you can boot with dos and use the command extract to copy the files into intended directory. reboot and see if xp will now work. and you mention files are in floppy are you installing xp from floppy? you can also copy the xp install folder to your hdd and install it from there. you can use the xcopy command
    xcopy X:\i386 C:\ /s /y /c /d /i /r /h
    where X is your source drive
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

See if this will help http://www.vttoth.com/xpboot.htm

thanks texsized, but can i boot from DOS without an active HDD? or is it active? the BIOS saw it and XP was installing to it. i know the drive is there, but how do i access it from DOS? is it through the BIOS? and where do i copy those files (folder)?

i ran a HDD diagnostic and it found no errors on the drive, which leads me to believe that if i can just get those three driver files on, that should take care of the problem.

thanks also, cannuck, i'll try that out when i get home tonight.

3nt.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Computer brand or at least Motherboard model, brand/model of HDD. Is it IDE, SATA ??????
    How was the drive partitioned. Fat32 or NTFS???
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

mobo: ASUS A8V deluxe
    processor: athlon 64 3700
    HDD: SATA WD1600JD western digital partitioned NTSF
    1G ram

HDD is plugged into VIA controller #1
    I don't respect people who don't respect people.