Default Windows XP on HP Laptop freezes at "splash Screen"

I was told in July this is the "splash Screen" It is the blue screen w/ XP logo(to begin, click user name) and normaly next to logo is the box you hit to sign in, Not there, The CPU will not go past this point. CTRL ALT Delete brings me to log on window looking for password, I never had a password.

This is an Laptop - HP pavilion ze4200 with XP

Another word it is froze at the start up log on screeen.

Any advice.

Thank you

After you hit ctrl alt delete and the screen comes up asking for user name and password leave both blank and hit enter. What happens?
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

It sounds like the user account is damaged in the registry.
    That box you refered to should be the user account you set up and that scrren is called the LogIn screen.
    You can try three things.
    First is hit the F8 key when booting up and choose Last Known Good Configuration and see if that works.
    If not repeat the process except choose Safe Mode. You can try and choose a restore point prior to when the problem started, if one exists.
    Do this by Clicking Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.
    If this fails boot up into Safe Mode again and log on as administrator. Hopefully you remember the password if you added one. If not refer to you documentation for the default password.
    Once in safe mode go to Control Panel/Users and delete the user you created for yourself. Now recreate it.
    Reboot. The downside of this is you will have to completely rebuild your desktop and any other settings you had made as all these details will be lost but it may be your only choice.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.