Default XP Won't Read CD's I Burn

Hi. Hoping you can answer this. I was told that, even though I still have W98SE, CD's that I burn should be able to be read on XP systems. I've tried twice, with two different XP systems, and neither can read CD's I burn. When I finish, I do close them out so they can be read in CD ROMs. I don't know all you need to know, but my system specs are in my signature. Also, I do have Adaptec Direct CD...which is what I use. Any suggestions? Thanks...... (By the way, I do plan to upgrade to XP Home this spring or summer....I'm just kinda stuck for right now)
    O.S. - W98SE
    CPU - AMD Athlon 700 MHz
    HDD - 80 GB West. Dig.
    Memory - 256 MB SDRAM
    Audio - Philips PSC703
    Video - Radeon 7500

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I guess the first question should be, can you read the cd's on your 98se computer? When you say read, do you mean open the cd and look at the files you've saved or are you talking about running the contents in a program (ie save mp3's and play on WMP, or .jpeg opens in mspaint). What format are the files .. MP3, .dat, .jpeg etc. ?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

What type of CD. Data, Audio, Video ??????
    Some types of CD have set standards. eg Audio CD's. Other don't.
    it could be the codecs you are using on the XP machine don't exist on the Win98.
    You could update the firmware of the Win98 cd drive.
    To do this make sure the drive is on it's own, set as master on the second IDE channel. Go to the drive manufacturer's site and download the latest firmware for your exact model. Follow the instruction on installing.
    Firmware updates add extra functionality to drives so they can keep up with new software and new types of media.
    How far you can a firmware update can take you depends on how old the drive is.
    If you are seriously considering updating the Win98 machine to XP then maybe you would be better off getting a new CD drive. Maybe a CD writer/DVD dual layer writer.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Thanks for the replies

I have made two data CD's on CD-R disks, and then closed them out so they can be read on a CD-ROM. To be honest, my CD-ROM quit a long time ago, and I have to use the CD Writer to read what I've saved (it's an HP CD Writer). However, before the CD-ROM took a dive, I used to be able to read them OK in it. The only problem is when someone with XP tries to read them. I have been able to read music files just fine with the CD-ROM. What I have saved now are a couple of install programs for someone having computer trouble (she's going through the security side of Help2Go....I just tried to save her some time by downloading the Ewido, HJT-CWS, and LSP install programs to a CD for her....it didn't work...she can't read them).

The other CD I made for someone else included a variety of music, text, and install files.....she could only read a couple of them, but 95% wouldn't show up on her computer.

What I think I'll do is just wait at this point. As was suggested, I need a new drive anyway, so I think when I do my upgrade I'll go ahead and get a new writer/CD-ROM. Until then, I just won't burn any more CD's.

Uh-oh....I just realized that if this is a problem, I may not be able to read my own CD's after I do my own upgrade. Would it be practical, when I do all of this, to get a second hard drive, and install the existing as a slave? Would I then be able to still use my own CD's, or am I getting too complicated? BTW, my computer experience is somewhere between novice and intermediate.....I know some, but mostly just basics (and almost nothing about XP).

Thanks.....
    O.S. - W98SE
    CPU - AMD Athlon 700 MHz
    HDD - 80 GB West. Dig.
    Memory - 256 MB SDRAM
    Audio - Philips PSC703
    Video - Radeon 7500

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

No Good idea. Maybe duplicate your Cd's on the new drive.
    HP CD drives are a funny beast and like everything else HP never is quite compatible with anything no HP.
    Hense a good readon to avoid them, compaq and IBM machines altogether.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Thanks, whoozhe.....sounds like sound advice. When I do get a new drive, I'll redo the CD's I want. Much appreciated!
    O.S. - W98SE
    CPU - AMD Athlon 700 MHz
    HDD - 80 GB West. Dig.
    Memory - 256 MB SDRAM
    Audio - Philips PSC703
    Video - Radeon 7500