Default How to reset bios password

Hi guys,

I'm having a bit of trouble with a computer i'm trying fix for a friend. The computer is almost completely unusable from mulitiple instances of spyware causing the system to hang indefinately.

I thought it best to reinstall xp but when i try to go into the bios to specify boot options i see the guy who built this system (now unreachable) has set a bios password. I was wondering if anyone knew which jumper setting i would need to set to clear CMOS. The Asus website for some reason doesnt mention the A7V333 motherboard that is in this machine so i'm unable to determine the correct jumper from the non existent manual on thier website.

If no one has this information do you think it would be best to remove the CMOS battery for a while to see if that does the trick?

Any other ideas would be welcome.

Hi hardeep - Try this link for the manual.
    Edit: The link is incorrect. I will check it and post again.

The link to the page doesn't work correctly, but you can get to the page by -
    Google 'Asus International'>'Global'>'Download'>Enter 'A7V333' in 'Input Model to Search' and 'Manual' in 'Select Category' - Click 'Search Info'.
    Click 'A7V333' and scroll down to the 4th option. The manual is there in PDF. Hope this helps.
    Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If you decide to try removing the CMOS battery, do your friend a favor and replace the battery with a new one.

BG

Hi guys,

thanks for the advice, i thought instead of looking through the manual to find the exact jumper setting id take the lazy option and remove the cmos battery. At first it didnt work (i think the 10 minutes wasnt enough) i took it out again and waited more like half an hour and when i put it back it had flashed the bios so i could get in.

thanks again.

I told you so :lol:

BG