Default Mysterious Problem with "My Computer"

Hello,

First time poster, hope that I am posting in accordance with your etiquette.

The mysterious problem has two main symptoms:
    --The "My Computer" screen now looks like any other explorer window. What I mean is, it used to be nicely arranged into categories, e.g. hard disks, cd/dvd drives, peripheral devices, etc. But now it is just viewed in any of the standard options (tiles, thumbnails, details, etc.). I've never seen this before and I ran all my anti-virus and anti-spyware software to no avail, my computer is clean (I run these checks religiously).
    --Even worse, my file associations are messed up. I used to be able to click .jpeg files and they would open with Photoshop, naturally. But now I click a .jpeg and it prompts me to choose the program that it should open with. I wouldn't mind restoring the association, but it won't let me. Photoshop is not in the list of programs, so I hit "browse" and navigate to Photoshop.exe, but it still doesn't appear in the list. It's as if I had not pressed "browse" or selected Photoshop.exe at all, as if it never happened. I tried over and over again. And .jpeg is not the only one, other file associations are broken as well.

It's been a while since I made a backup image, so I cannot go that route. The only clue that I can offer is that I recently received the Windows update for the "Malicious Software Removal Tool." Wish I could offer more clues, but I really haven't done anything out of the ordinary with my computer lately... I have a solid firewall... I'm very careful and meticulous with my computer.

Please help!

Thanks & Regards,
    Ryan

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Sounds as though you may have damaged window files. Try this: Start> Run> type in chkdsk /f (note the space between the k and /) >OK. A window will open and may say something like ' chkdsk cannot run now, but next time you reboot it will on startup' > Y for yes >Enter. Now reboot your PC and let chkdsk check for damaged windows files and fix them.
    Keep us posted